• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syringe feeding - Evo a bit better, but still useful advice

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
I am bringing Evo home later - he is still not eating, but seeing as there's no-one at the vets after 8pm, I though he may as well be at home, where there are familiar surroundings. I have set up a little pen in the hallway, so he can't disappear to the back of his cage where I can't get to him (o/h's idea!).

Is there anything I can buy from a pet shop or chemist that is easier to use for syringe feeding than an actual syringe?
What's everyone's favourite method?? I can kind of do it, but far more ends up on Evo / the floor / me than in him, I thought there might be a better way?

Last edited:
A 1ml syringe is by far the best thing to use.
Do you wrap Evo up securely when syringe feeding?

Does your Vet know why Evo is Anorexic?

Janex

Hi Laura :wave:

I'm a pro when it comes to syringe feeds. I use a 2 ml syringe and cut off the top so that the tip doesn't get blocked.

With Harvey he jumps into his hayrack and just sits there whilst I feed him so I have both hands free but usually you have to wrap bun up in a towel. Criss cross the towel over at the top of the neck so that they're all wrapped up and can't struggle then place syringe at side of mouth and feed a little at a time.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

A 1ml syringe is by far the best thing to use.
Do you wrap Evo up securely when syringe feeding?

Does your Vet know why Evo is Anorexic?

Janex

No, I don't normally wrap him up.... he normally runs away before I get chance! But he's not been this poorly before. :(

No idea why he's annorexic yet, I think he wants to try blood tests and an xray to rule out kidney problems and tooth root problems though.

Does the same vet always file his teeth? I just wonder if his teeth are sensitive after his dental on Friday. The dentine could be exposed or they could just be sore after the procedure.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I use a small syringe (1ml) and I tend to make the recovery formula quite watery.

I find that it's easier to syringe feed if you can get someone to hold the rabbit while you feed them, that way you can use both hands.

Lots of vibes

FC x

No, I don't normally wrap him up.... he normally runs away before I get chance! But he's not been this poorly before. :(

No idea why he's annorexic yet, I think he wants to try blood tests and an xray to rule out kidney problems and tooth root problems though.

What meds has he been prescribed?

Was his last Dental on Friday and was it done under GA?

Janex

Does the same vet always file his teeth? I just wonder if his teeth are sensitive after his dental on Friday. The dentine could be exposed or they could just be sore after the procedure.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I hope it's something that simple. There are loads of vets there, I don't think the same ones do the ops each day. :? His dental was on a Friday this time, when I normally take him on a Monday or Tuesday. Is there any way they'd be able to tell if this was the case? It seems strange that it would come on now, seeing as he's been perfectly fine for the 8 days after the dental.

I always swaddle rabbits in a big towel like you would a baby, nice and tight. Stops them kicking the syringe out of your hand and makes them panic less.

this is how I do syringing - off another thread :)
To actually do the dirty work, I knelt on the floor, put a towel over her, dragged her between my legs and (I learnt this at Christmas, when I got badly kicked and bruised inner thigh - ouch!) clamp my legs onto her quick, to hold her firmly.

Then, wrapped in the towel with her head poking out, lifted her upper body in my left hand, holding her front paws with my fingers, so she was more or less sitting up straight on her back feet. Only half fill the syringe if your hands are small like mine, and put your head next to hers so you can see her mouth clearly - pop the syringe in sideways, just in the gap behind the front teeth, and squeeze a little, stop, squeeze a tiny bit more, stop etc. till it's all gone

I do as elve (hi eleve - 2nd post this evening where I've started 'as elve says') but I always use a small plastic pippette which the vets have endless supplies of. We cut off the very long thin ends and leave about 5 cms of the 'tube' part and the 'bulb' of the pippette - which takes only about 2ml but is much much easier to very slowly squeeze - with no worrying that it will suddely squirt into the back of their throat. They seem to much prefer it to the syringes (and believe me we have tried all shapes and sizes!).

The vet should have some - but don't tend to use the for syringing liquids into rabbits as it is very time consuming.

I use a 10ml syringe and feed about 4mls at a time. Putting in 10mls or any full syringe makes it really hard to push down.

I've only just found this, so sorry Evo is not feeling well, I think Bobbin knows how he feels :rolleyes:

Sending vibes for his speedy recovery xxx

That's great news!

Hay must be one of the harder things for an unwell bunny to eat. We would coax them with mushy food and dandelions. Even our sick Olliver couldn't resist dandelions.

You really shouldn't wrap the rabbit up like that to syringe feed them, it will only scare them and make the process more difficult, and also make their health worse as rabbits don't cope well with stress.

The best way to syringe feed is to sit with the rabbit on your lap on a towel (so you don't get filthy). If you are right handed face the rabbit with its bottom under your left elbow, I find sitting in a corner so the rabbit can't back up helps while it learns that the process isn't unpleasant. Stroke the rabbit's head with your left hand and hold the syringe (a 1ml syringe as they fit nicely into the corner of the mouth) and contain just a mouthful) in your right hand (reverse if you are left handed). Keep stroking until just before you put the syringe into the mouth then gently lift the corner of the mouth up with your thumb, letting the rest of your hand lie on the rabbits head to gently hold it still, you can cup your fingers around its nose, the feed goes in the rabbit swallows while you continue to stroke it. Fill the syringe again with your right hand. I hold the cup with the feed in it between my knees so I can do this. I always start off syringe feeding with Vetark's critical care as it is a sweet powder mix that completely dissolves in water. The rabbit will like it and so often will soon begin to actually suck it off the syringe. Once it knows what is going on move on to a thicker feed with fibre (if the rabbit is ready for this). Oxbow critical care is my first choice. I always mix avipro in as well, with some of the vetark critical care as well. Be firm but gentle, confidence makes a huge difference when holding rabbits.

That's very useful advice, Doorkeeper. Cheers. :) I've been tending to do similar to this, but just going to Evo wherever he is. And it is far easier with a 1ml syringe, I wish I'd known this before!!!

did you try warming the feed for evo ? I found it made a difference for Thumper I posted on Bobbins thread about warming it like a baby's bottle :lol:

Back