• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to put on floor of hutch?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya
I currently have Megazorb over the floor of the girls' hutch but as Molly has had a bout of stasis, I am wondering if she may have injested some and that it is the cause. What do you all have on the floor of your hutch/shed? I have had hay previously on the floor but they poo and wee where they eat, so there were patches of wee over the floor of the hutch which is hard to keep clean, especially as summer is approaching. Milly hates vetbed (unless underneath straw/hay). She digs it up and chews it, which is not going to help a great deal. They are Mini Rexes so it needs to be quite a soft flooring.

What about putting a layer of straw over the megazorb? or even just newspaper and straw?

Some of my buns regularly eat their straw, and haven't come to harm as yet.

Amy

Would it be good to have shredded paper over the floor? Like thin shredded paper. They don't wee on paper and they don't eat it either.

Would it be good to have shredded paper over the floor? Like thin shredded paper. They don't wee on paper and they don't eat it either.

There was a letter in the recent copy of Rabbiting On about a bunny going into statis because it had been eating shredded paper used as bedding :(
Sorry it doesn't help you but thought you should be aware.

Have you had a look at "Dengie medi bed" would this be any good?
I don't use it (am trying the megazorb) but Millie is prone to nibbling so this is something I considered, it can be a bit messy for indoors but I know someone who uses it in their outdoor set up.
www.dengie.com/pages/products/additional-products/medi-bed.php

I have put some shredded paper on the floor of the hutch. Each strand of paper is about 2cm wide. Milly nibbled it a bit, but I think she'll like shredding it more than actually eating it. If I catch her eating any, I will immediately take it out. Is shredded paper ok for rexes' hocks?

I had shredded paper in Munch & Pipkins hutch. They always scraped it away from where they sat/lay & they did the same when I used straw. I now have nothing on the floor of their hutch & they seem just as happy. Theyre indoor buns & only use their hutch overnight to sleep in. Munch used to eat the paper & I did wonder if that was why he had tummy problems. I still use the paper in Luckys cage as she doesnt eat it.

Hiya

For my rex I have rubber mats down then hay in the enclosed area which they think is their toilet. :rolleyes:

She has a big box stuffed with hay in the other section in case she gets cold and wants to snuggle but because the hay is only in the box not the whole floor it is easier to clean out every day and wastes less. :wave:

Last edited:
Back