• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear Mites!

Vanessa-nessa

Young Bun
Hello:wave:, new here, and hope you guys can help!

Vanessa is our 8 month old Lionhead (will put a pic up soon). I noticed she was getting a bit grumpy and wasnt keen on having her ear touched. When I managed to catch her, I saw that she had a sore ear, and took her to the vet who said it was ear mites.

This was three weeks ago. The vet gave her Xeno 450, and two more doses to be given two weeks apart. (So she still has one more dose to get next weekend) Hope this is making sense!

The thing is, although her ear looks fine now, she's still shaking her head a fair bit, and scratching. Does this seem normal?

Also, I'm wondering how/where she's picked these up? She has been a house bunny since November, and we dont have any another pets. The vet suggested she may have had mites when we got her, but we've had her since September.

I'd like to have her speyed soon, but feel it should wait til she's back to normal first!

Hello and welcome to RU :wave:

Mites are tiny things that are barely visible. As far as I know it's entirely possible for rabbits to have them for a long time without them becoming apparent. When ear mites become a problem they create a dark residue in the ear and soreness, only then can you actually see that they are present, so yes I suspect it's possible she had them before she came to you.

I can't give advice re the medication, not my forte!

I think your vet would recommend she is 100% before spaying. My boy often has weepy eyes and was neutered last week, but the vets said they would not castrate him unless his eyes were clear!

Back