• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on housing please

Madmoo

Alpha Buck
Hi All,

Currently have two buns, Harvey and Willow, who are in separate two-tier hutches until Harvey has been done and they are bonded. I am looking at their long term housing needs and am considering whether I build a large run (say 10 x 8 x 3) that biggest hutch can be placed in so buns can have access all day and be put in hutch overnight.

Or, get a shed that I can attach a run to and give buns access again during the day and shutting them in for the night. If I have shed - do you think I need the hutch in there or just make them some beds? Is it best to have run on concrete or grass or both? Also, for the access hatch - what do people suggest - do buns use cat flaps?

Sorry about the lengthy message - just want some advice on whats best for them as I want them to be happy buns.

I have an indoor rabbit but ill try and help as much as i can:D A lot of people have got Wendy Houses for their buns with runs attached and not everyone has a hutch in theirs. It depends on your buns. A cardboard box to hide it might be an idea. I personally would have both concrete and grass, but make sure the buns can't dig out of the grassy area. There are some good examples of these houses in the Stories section of the forum which might give you some good ideas:D

I think either scenario you suggest will be fine!

However if you have the space and funds i would opt for the shed option! I have recently changed from having a hutch and run combo to a shed and I prefer the shed - esp in the bad weather we've had recently as it's enabled Barley to have more inside space! I don't have a hutch in my shed but I did build a shelf in it and a kind of cubby hole! (there's photos of it on here somwhere).

The size of your run sounds really good :D

As for patio or grass there are pros and cons for both - personally if I could I would have the run on half patio and half grass (although I'm not sure how I would set this up in practicality!)

Good luck with what you choose though!

Hannah

I have two pairs of rabbits, two are outside already and they have a shed and Ive just brought a playhouse for the other two when they are eventually bonded and go outside. Personally since having my outdoor buns in a shed, I wouldnt go back to having a hutch. Im not saying theres anything wrong with a good sized hutch but I am personally more happy with my bunnies in a shed/playhouse. Theres more options i.e creating different levels etc and I have peace of mind knowing they have loads of space. They have bed areas, hidey-holes etc, toys in there are they are very happy. tbh a 6 x 4 shed can be around the same price as a decent sized hutch so give me the shed anyday.:D

I have a Playhosue for my buns. It is 5ftx5ft and has got a huge run on it. They have access to the run all day, then get put in the playhouse at night.

It is great. They have got loads of space inside, and there is enough room for me to get in the playhouse wth them if it is bad wether...

I would opt for the shed option (or consider a playhouse:D)

I'd go for a shed with a large run on both concrete and grass. Just make sure you either put a layer of bricks or something like chicken wire a foot under the grass so they can't dig too far.
As long as you provide some hidey holes in the shed then you won't need a hutch in there. Plus the advantage of a shed or wendy house is that you can sit inside with the buns when the weather is bad.

I had the same situation, two bunnies in two separate hutches - I had the two hutches joined together to make one very large hutch. Is this an option for you?

Thanks to all who responded. Ive opted for a shed and had bargain on ebay 12' x 8' shed for £15!

Cant wait to start my new bunny project - hubby will be hiding!!

Thanks again for your replies - they have helped me loads. Have also been looking at the links in the stories & photos section and have been impressed by so many of the set ups. Got a good few ideas now for the Harvey/Willow project.

Thanks again.

Back