• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What meds do I need available for stasis?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya
Since Molly has had stasis, I really think I need some meds or treatment to help a rabbits gut move if I need to. Can anyone tell me what are the essentials needed to help a stasis bunny?

I don't think you should ever rally self medicate, but Infacol is always useful to try first. I always take Evo to the vet if he hasn't picked up in 2 hours though.

The only reason I am able to hold meds here is because they have some of them daily anyway, and because the vet knows that the emergencies are so frequent.

After last night's dramas here, I'd add peppermint teabags to your list! :)

Might be worth reading the article by Dana Krempel on Stasis, the silent killer.

I would initially look at what you are feeding the bunnies. How much veg do they get and what type, how often. Are they eating a lot of hay? How much pellet do you feed. Are they on dried grass? When I first got bunnies, one had stasis from Kale and had to be hospitalised.

There are many reasons for stasis, some of which we have no control over, but I think its always worth eliminating any cause we do have control over. Also, you would be advised to alway seek urgent vet treatment for bunnies with stasis as you can lose them so quickly.

Last year Barney and Roxy had several speights of GI Stassis and had to be hospitalised, Roxy even had to be tubed.

After someone on here suggested calcium may be a problem I have cut it out and now only give them basic food eg tonnes of hay a small amount of pellets and half/one leaf of spring greens daily. They occasionally get the odd treat of parsly but kale and alfalfa are completly ruled out.

I tried several things during these bouts but nothing worked apart from vet treatment. After half an hour now I take them imediately to the vets. I have nearly lost both Barney and Roxy and I don't intend on that happening again.

Molly doesn't eat veg. Milly has half a leaf of spring greens, 1/8 of a green pepper, and 1 brussell sprout each day. They both get 70g of SS pellets between them, split into two meals. They eat Meadow hay and Excel Super Forage, but that's changing to Timothy Hay soon. They do have Megazorb over the floor of their hutch and strands of Excel Super Forage lands on it, so I was wondering if this may be the cause. It may just be a concidence that Molly fell ill after they were out on grass for 3 hours when they haven't been on grass for about two months. They now can drink from a bowl or a bottle, so they get a choice.

I tend to agree with the others - there are useful things to have to hand, but for stasis the best thing you can have is your vets phone number and some means of payment! A number of people have managed to prevent a full-on stasis using something like infacol, but if the bun hasn't picked up within a short space of time, it's vets all the way I'm afraid. It's also important to remember that stasis is usually a symptom, not a primary cause, so a vet visit for a checkover, even after the bun is better, might be in order.

i have this 'critical care' stuff that is mixed with water and then spread on food, which if it is caugth early, it helped the gut keep moving, not good if they are not eating at all however.

i also have sachets of stuff you put in with water, my vets gave me some extra when my foster bun had it, and it have loads leftover so i keep them in the medical box. aside from that, incfacol.

pineapple juice helped cookie but then you can make a point to forever have pineapple juice..so...

i pu some pure pineapple in my blender, added some water (cus my blender is rubbish) then i froze it..... so that if it happenes again i can just defrost without going mad looking 4 a pineapple!

I agree that prevention is better than cure, so look to getting the best diet for them, and make sure their teeth are ok.
Mine only have greens, sprouts and carrot. Cabbage/ celery etc can bring on bouts of stasis in one or the other of them!
Other than that, I find that syringing cooled boiled water and making them move around a lot helps.

Back