• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is sand good for burrowing?

buda

Warren Scout
We are picking up an exercise run for our buns today or tomorrow.

It's 2.5 metres square and over 1 metre high. Thinking of putting a deep litter box into the ground and filling it with sand for them to dig. Is that a good idea?

We have to get a run because Tofu enjoys digging so much that he's found his way out of our property several times and we can't run that risk again!

i think soil would be better than sand. I've never heard of sand and bunny's mixing. hopefully you'll get some more replies soon

:wave: my buns have sand :D have had it for 2 years with no problems :D although mine just dig it and use it to stay cool in summer (they dig a little hole then flop their belly in) because they are indoors they only have a smallish tray of it though so cant actually burrow. i should think if you want it just for digging sand would be fine but if you want it to stay in the burrows probably soil as sand (or at least dry sand) tends to just 'dissolve' back into the hole they have just dug :D

ETS: just a quick note mine only ever get child safe play sand if you do go with sand i would use this as apposed to a builders sand :D

This is a good idea. I wanted to do a digging box but thought soil would be too dirty, even though they are rabbits still didn't want them having to clean that off their feetz.

Anyway my girl bun loves to dig, even digs at my arm when it goes in the hutch :roll:
I am so making one of these when I get the new run!

Back