• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

swollen lip on bun: 'vet style advice needed'

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Advice needed please:

Two of my rabbits (Teasal and Parsley) sometimes manage to 'meet' through the child gate bars and nip or scratch each others noses . We try and avoid this of course by having two childgates and a 'no rabbits land' - but life is life and sometimes they get through/past one and meet at the next.

Anyhow - I think probably a day or so ago it happened again and Teasal got his nose/lip area either scratched or bitten. There is no bleeding but a thin line of fur shows where something must have happened.
Anyway I noticed his lip area is now hard and swelling - not huge or red but noticeable.

We have both Septrin and Baytril here - do you think I should give him a dose of either of these (not sure why one might use one instead of the other . . . )?

Just a bit concerned about it turning into an abcess.

He seems his normal happy comfortable and hungry self.

Advice anyone? Should I make a vets appt? (another £30!!: only just paid for Willows £550!!)

2 of my buns had lip injuries when I attempted a group bond last year.

They were quiet that evening so I popped them to the vet and they got some painrelief (anti-imflammatories) and an injection of Baytril. They soon perked up and their lips healed quickly.

So I'd pop them to the vet and get them checked over. You could take them on the same appointmant (but in different carriers) and just pay 1 consult fee.

anyone else any thoughts?

what IS the difference between Septrin and Baytril???

(by the way only one rabbit with swollen lip -but it is quite hard)

My vets usually start off with Baytril for an abcess but progress to Septrin if it advances. I assume Septrin tends to be 'harder hitting' than Baytril which has minimal sid effects and is seen as one of the safest abx to use on a rabbit.

Is the lip warm to the touch?
Is it putting the rabbit concerned off his/her food?

Is the lip warm to the touch?
Is it putting the rabbit concerned off his/her food?

Feels same warmth as rest of rabbit! and NOTHING puts Teasal off his food No really - he's been with us for 5 years now and (touch wood) has never been off his food - oh except when his lovely Florence died and he became depressed for a couple of days.

certainly he is wolfing down excell pellets, fresh carrot, and fresh parsley as I speak.

Just worried as it seems such a hard swelling.

If it's swelling because there is an abscess/puss inside then it may need lancing as well as ab's. I think I'd be tempted to pop to the vet just to make sure.

Tamsin beat me to it.... I was about to say the last bun I had with a lip abcess, also from a bite was drained and cleaned under a GA. It left him with a slightly deformed lip but in conjunction with a course of Baytril it healed nicely.

what IS the difference between Septrin and Baytril???

Baytril is a Fluoroquinolone broad spectrum antibiotic. It is effective against many bacteria that cause disease in Rabbits. It is, however, *ineffective* against anaerobic bacteria so is not a good choice in the treatment of bite wounds or tooth root abscesses.
Baytril is licenced for use in Rabbits

Septrin is a Potentiated Sulphonamide broad spectrum antibiotic. It is effective against *some* anaerobic bacteria. Septrin is inactivated by exudates and debris (pus) so is of limited use in the treatment of an established abscess.
Septrin is not licensed for use in Rabbits but some Vets will prescribe it 'off licence' if it is likely to be more effective than Baytril.

Both abx are prescription only so should not be administered to a Bun without first consulting a Vet

Janex :)

Baytril is a Fluoroquinolone broad spectrum antibiotic. It is effective against many bacteria that cause disease in Rabbits. It is, however, *ineffective* against anaerobic bacteria so is not a good choice in the treatment of bite wounds or tooth root abscesses.
Baytril is licenced for use in Rabbits

Septrin is a Potentiated Sulphonamide broad spectrum antibiotic. It is effective against *some* anaerobic bacteria. Septrin is inactivated by exudates and debris (pus) so is of limited use in the treatment of an established abscess.
Septrin is not licensed for use in Rabbits but some Vets will prescribe it 'off licence' if it is likely to be more effective than Baytril.

Both abx are prescription only so should not be administered to a Bun without first consulting a Vet

Janex :)

Many thanks for this (especially given the amount of things you have to do this morning! (good luck Mo!!).

Now I understand why we sometimes get one and sometimes the other! I shall pop him to a vet and see what they think - and if necessary start him on any abs they suggest after they have seen him. Am just anxious for an abcess not to 'take hold'.

Back