• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Papaya Tablets and human alternative

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
I know some of you use these from Oxbow. Could you tell me if it says what amount of Bromelain and papain they contain? I have got some human ones from a health food shop and wonder how they compare. Thanks :D;)

Last edited:
To my knowledge Papaya tablets only contain papayazyme (papain) not bromelain.

From my research it appears that there is more information to suggest bromelain works than papayazyme though personally I remain unconvinced.

Several remedies have been proposed to assist in the break up or passage of a hairball. Pineapple juice contains the digestive enzyme bromelain and has been used to treat early cases of trichobezoars; an adult rabbit is given 10 mL of fresh or frozen juice through a stomach tube or intubation needle, SID-BID for 3 days. Both the fluid and the enzyme help to break up the matrix of the hairball. Canned pineapple juice is not as effective because the canning process destroys the enzyme. Papaya contains the enzyme papain, also called papayazyme. Papain enzymes do not break down the hair itself, but may help break down the mucus that holds the hairball together. Human health food or nutrition stores carry bromelain and papayazyme supplements as aids to digestion.

oh thanks for that.
Ive never been totally convinced about the papaya tablets. I stopped giving them these regularly a while back now and have found that they eat plenty of dried grass and have not had bloat probs for ages now. But.. when they start moulting im always getting stringy and smaller poops so wanted to have something on hand to give them at that point as a prevention.

I found some hairball prevention treats in pets at home today for small animals.. seem to have a sort of gooey stuff inside them but they arent keen on them yet :roll:

Generally a hairball will only occur if a rabbit is going into GI stasis anyway, they are not a primary condition but a secondary one to GI motility slowing.

I dont see why a healthy rabbit should need one of the supplements.

Back