• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Rabbit Training

RusselRocky

Mama Doe
I am trying to litter train my house rabbit, but so far its not going well, I have got him a litter box with wood based litter in it and put some of his soiled sawdust in it but he pooped in his cozy bed... Has anyone got any ideas to help? Or how long it will take? Anything more I can do?
:shock:

There's not a lot you can do to stop a hormonal bunny marking his territory. Just be thankful he isn't spraying you with wee.

He isnt marking his territory he is pooping in his bed. He has never sprayed and when he is out seems to hold it until he is in his cage.

We used to tempt Barney into his tray with parsley and spinach. When he got in it we'd give him the treat. The other thing we we tried to do was grab him when it looked like he was about to have a wee (when he backed up against a corner or wall) and put him in his tray.

We used to tempt Barney into his tray with parsley and spinach. When he got in it we'd give him the treat. The other thing we we tried to do was grab him when it looked like he was about to have a wee (when he backed up against a corner or wall) and put him in his tray.

Thanks but he seems to be crossing his leg poor soul, any tips on how to get him to realise he can loosen up and go in the tray??!

Sorry just read your last post. Barney has got better at pooping in his tray although sometimes does them elsewhere. We just throw them back in his litter tray and hope he gets the hint!

I shall just have to persist... Wish I could get him to understand he can wee in it, think he worried about doing that he is a scarily clean young man!!!!:lol:

I just kept chucking the poo back into the tray until mine got the idea :lol: Im not to bothered about bunny poo in their sleeping area though because its so easy to clean up and doesnt make a mess

If he's been pooing on shavings he may find it hard to realise thats not where he's supposed to pee any more. Try having the shavings only in the litter tray and something like paper (until he gets the hang, then switch to vet bed) for the rest of his bed. Also ensure there is plenty of hay in the litter tray for him to munch on.

To be honest though, if he is uneutered he is not going to take to litter training that well if he is already hormonal. I've got a lovely lionhead staying with me as a foster bun at the mo who has only just had the snip. Since staying with me he's managed to pee on the carpet twice and on my OH :oops: but c'est la vi, he'll calm down after a few weeks.

I (well, OH takes credit) managed to train Barney fairly well before he had the op, although he has been better since. He has had 3 accidents - once at my parent's house at xmas (he did the same as yours and seemed to cross his legs...eventually he went....all over my bed).

The second accident was on my bed in my home, while I was in bed!

The third was when we came back from his vac at the vets - again on my bed. i think he had the hump with me!

Hmm... He doesnt have sawdust on his bead he is a very spoilt young man!! :lol: but I shall take all your advice and persist with him, hopefully once he has had the snip it shall be easier!! Thanks

:DCan I just give you a little update clever bunny Russel has just managed to do a wee in his litter tray!! Congratulations to him!!

One of our bunnies (Tofu) poops and wees on our bed when he manages to find a way into our room. He also poops and wees on the couch when he manages to get up there.

I'm pretty sure he's doing it to those 2 spots because they smell very strongly of humans.

The other bun (Olliver) has no interest in marking human smelling territory with his own scent.

It was funny for a while because Tofu would always wee on my fiance. I'm sure that's because Tofu was totally in love with him though right?

Back