• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am so scared for my rabbits, please help

Netti

New Kit
I will be moving back to Hungary from the United Sates this summer. The flight that we an afford does not allow rabbits in tha cabin section. The flight will take 1round 13 hours, not counting the loading and waiting period. I am so worried and scared for letting my two rabbits travel in the cargo area. I am worried the wont be treated right and that they will be so scared. This trip is sooo long...I just do not know what to do. Have your rabbit traveled in the cargo before? How did it go? My bunnies live indoor and are the sweetest little things. One of them freaks out very easily. They are both around 1 1/2 and do not get along and are not bonded....although I have trid many times, but they are much happier this way. I am ready to cry I am so nervous about them traveling in the cargo...

there are special pet transport companies, but I guess cost a lot of money to use - do you know what they will have to travel in?

I also read that it is very dangerous to give the tranquilaziers as bunnies are very aware of tehir sorroundings, and this might freak them out more. It is dangerous by nature also.
They will go in their carriers. They are very comfortable in it...but who knows how they will react to people loading them, and then being in a place with a bunch of other animals, plus the noice, plust the airplain moving and of course temperature, etc...

I think the main problem is with 13hr flight, plus loading and travelling etc, all the waiting, they will be too scared to eat or drink during that time, and if a rabbit goes for more than about 10 hours with nothing to eat or drink they will become seriously ill as their stomach starts to fill up with gas. I really don't think such a long flight is feasible for rabbits :( Will you be returning to the States or are you staying permanently in Hungary?

Since they have to go in the pressurized cargo section, can you get a carrier that is big (like for a dog) and have both rabbits together in it? The Airlines requires that you have a water bottle attached to the carrier for them, so you will have to get one that is outfitted to fit on a carrier. I think as long as they are together, and they have pellets and hay to munch, that they will be ok. You could give them infacol/simethicone before you leave as a preventative for getting gassy tummies.
I flew 2 of my rabbits on a domestic flight in small carriers, placed under the seat in the cabin in separate carriers, and was very scared about it but they were absolutely fine and acted as if nothing happened when we brought them home.

you could ask the vet for some calmers/traqulisers to ease the journey for them

Whatever you do do NOT ask for a sedative for them, they are left alone with NO supervision on the flight and if one of them reacts badly there will be noone or nothing anyone can do to help them and also a sedative will not last as long as the flight and it will be even more distressing for the rabbits to be sedated and unaware and then suddenly fully aware in a strange place with strange noises and that will be a higher stress risk. Its much less stressful for them to be fully aware and exposed to evrything thats going on rather than becoming aware half way through.

The cargo hold is temperature controlled and dark so the best thing to do is make sure their carriers are comfy and familiar by getting them used to them prior to the flight, leave them in their runs or pens or the room they live in and use vet bed (that smells of home) to soak up urine so they stay dry, lots of hay will keep them busy.

We get lots of rabbits coming through from the states over here and rarely any problems when I used to work at the q station :D

Thank you for all the help. They are not bonded so they cannot go together...:(

But I love the idea of a dog crate, that makes a lot of sense and I am sure they would feel so much more comfortable in those rather than their small ones.

:( I am still really worried but it is some time away from now, and I am sure it will work out.

I had a friend flew her little netherland dwarf to singapore when she went home (from England). It was in the cargo hold and was fine - despite a delay on the plane.

HOWEVER: I would make the following suggestions/tips:
DO NOT pay ANY attention to the regulation that most airlines have that any animal must be starved for 12 hours prior to flying. This is in case of vomiting and MUST NOT be done for rabbits and is totally unecessary (they cannot vomit). If necessary get a vets note to explain.
DO NOT pay any attention to the fact that most airlines ask you not to provide any food in the cage (ditto with above);
ENSURE that you and the rabbits fly together (ie on the same plane) in case of delays or unscheduled landings etc you will be there - my friend ended up n a separate flight and when her plane was delayed there was no-one to collect the buns when they arrived ahead of her).

hope all goes well.

it may be worth ringing the airline up to see if you can swap your hand luggage for the animals or pay more and have them in the cabin. Maybe if you just try and check them in with your hand luggage they may not know that you have not paid for them to be with you? (if that makes sense)

it may be worth calling the pet helpline (In the uk its RSPCA) and aksing for some advise on the best thing to do.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

If you have any queries I would recommend you pm Luvabun as she deals with the animals at our Heath Row airport, she is brill with them and the owners. She has also gone out of her way to help people who have arrived at the airport like going to get them the right carrier and on long stints she would recommend using plenty of newspaper then vetbed on top, then hay in the carrier so that the wee gets absorbed and does not soak the buns, she is definately worth getting in touch with;)

There was a bunny rescued in Asia and brought back to the UK and it might be worth trying to find those threads to see if it mentions transportation.

Back