• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly is very quiet!!!! BETTER NOW!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya
I don't know what to do. Molly has been on grass for about 3 hours today and she is now lying down in her hutch, not interested in doing anything, quiet, now eating a pellet which is very unusual as they love their pellets. Milly is fine, thank goodness, bouncing around, eating a pellet, veg and being happy, normal self. I need help as whether to keep them inside tonight so Molly is warm and I can keep an eye on her or to contact the vet and see if they can keep her overnight or help her. I don't want to take her to the vet as it's out of hours and costs loads but I will do as I don't want to wake up and find her dead in the morning cos I didn't act. Why does this have to happen on a Sunday????

I hope he'll be ok. Sounds a bit like bloat? Faline had it a few days ago. Someone will come along that can help better but have you tried giving her a tummy rub and seeing if she will move around incase it is gas.

I think it's that as well. I will give her a tummy rub and try to move her around. I heard some gurgles from her stomach, so I guess it is gas. Do you think I should bring her in though? The temperature inside isn't much different from outside and I'll also turn off all heating on this level of the house and open a window in the room. Is this good enough? At least I have the indoor cage as a back-up. So glad I have it.

[Admin Edit - Human medicine should never me given to rabbits without consulting your vet!]

when Zinniea goes like this I bring her indoors so she's not cold (don't have heating on though) and syringe her with some infacol, then 10ml of water, warmed with water from the kettle. I also crush a fruit flavoured rennie rapize in the water, and dissolve half an asprin (per 200ml water) - but that's a bit controversial I should think, so you might prefer just water with a tiny drop of ribena or pineapple juice to make it taste nice. Main thing is infacol (baby wind medicine) and water. Zinniea usually recovers after 10ml, an hours rest, then another 10ml - do you know how to syringe them OK?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it's an emergency and you should be worried - it can't wait till morning as they just get worse and worse, especially when it's so cold at night - have you got any clean syringes from when they've had antibiotics?

They don't have anti-bodies. I do have a syringe which is used for the dog for her medicine. I haven't got infacol or anything like that. What may have caused this?

I'd suggest that if you are worried you give you vet a call for advice.

You need to monitor whether she is still pooping and whether she is still eating at all.

Tamsin

I'm guessing the dog's syringe will be quite big? you just need a narrow, 1ml syringe for a rabbit or it's too big to fit in the side of their mouth. Never mind the infacol - if you can give her water that will be a big help I'm sure. You need to bring her indoors, kneel on the floor and put a towel over and around her so she can't struggle, and back her up between your legs, hold her with your thighs and lift her top half up with your left hand, holding her front paws, so she's almost sitting up on her back feet, then bend over so you can see her mouth clearly, and pop the syringe in sideways, just behind her front teeth where there's a gap - and squeeze a tiny bit at a time so she doesn't choke - make sure you see her swallowing it or she might choke.

I don't know why they go like this - some bunnies just do - Zinniea's the only one of my lot so far and she's had stasis 3 times for no apparent reason.

They are inside. Molly looks loads better than what she was like before. Before, she blankly refused all food. Now, she eaten a strand of hay and she's marking a pellet. And she did a poo!!!! She's moved around and she looks alert. Are these good signs? I called the vet for advice and she said that if she goes downhill within the next few hours, get her to a vet, which we will, despite the enormous cost. I'm much happier with her. Her eyes are bright and her ears are up. Milly thinks this is all some great adventure. :) Offering her water and food every 20 minutes or so.

My Midge has done this twice recently - been fine all day but then refused her pellets in the evening.
If any of mine don't dive on their food I start to worry.:roll:
Each time with Midge I've given her Infacol and gentle tummy rubs, and bought her into the house to get her moving around. Her tummy gurgles too with the gas.
Each time (thankfully) within an hour of being given the Infacol she starts to take her food again, and within a few hours is completely back to normal.
If she didn't respond within a few hours I'd take her to the vet.
It's worth getting some Infacol in just in case you get similar symptoms again - for me it has worked well 'cos I spotted the symptoms early and could give a dose straight away.
Hope Molly is looking brighter, but if you're worried definately call the vet for advice.

Thanks. She's just sitting comfortably, being sensible. She hasn't drunk anything so may syringe her some water soon. Is it really stressful for them? What are the downhill signs? Do I need to check her throughout the night?

The fact that she is considering eating herself and pooping is a good sign.

However you do still need to keep a close eye on her. Lots of fluids if you can. Try a bowl of water with a dash of boiling in to make it room temperature, Molly may just take it like this on her own.

I hope she continues to improve.

Thanks. I'll try the warm water in the bowl. She seems to be rolling around on her back at the mo. She sometimes does this when she's sunbathing (ie. happy). Is this a good sign or a bad sign?

I think she drank from the bowl. She sort of licked it and licked around her mouth. Is this drinking? Do they drink like horses or like cats?

I would definately check her throughout the night! Hard to say when the point to call the vet in is, Poppy has been like this and I left her for about 4-5 hours and she has suddenly snapped out of it, tummy rubs and getting her to move around helped. Gus had it and I took him straight to the vet because he looked so distressed by it. If it was Poppy I would take her to the vet if she had not started eating by 12 or 1? But that is just me and you are the best judge of how poorly she is. Have they been on the grass much lately, I have heard that if they haven't had grass for a while then have lots it can cause problems because it's too much of a change? Hope she improves soon
x

Oh and the sunbathing may be her stretching out because her bellly hurts, Poppy does this, she kind of shifts around and flops out.

getting her to run around and get some exercise can help to keep the stomach moving.

hope she is feeling better soon

Back