• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burrowing bun-PICS ADDED

mullethead

Mama Doe
Sophie has started to make a burrow in the dig patch in the run ans is not letting any other buns near it,she is spayed but is it still maternal,I have had to fill it in and cover the dig patch cos of this,anyone know why she is doing this,is it maternal???????????/

Rick

Last edited:
I can't offer a solution but my Smokey, who is also spayed, also seems to go through 'hormonal' periods. The only other reason I can think of is that Smokey just loves digging!

It must be the time of the year. Our rabbit Holly who is dead now, starting digging a burrow about this time of the year. As they have a huge compound, we just left her to it. She was joined by her housebun Wolfie who helped her dig it and between them they must have gone down over 5 foot.

They like their burrow and sit near it just like wild rabbits so they can pop down it if they are scared. The burrow is inside an A frame run so I have to make sure that I close off the run at 3.00 everyday or I can't put them to bed. It is a game of chess between us at that time as they know I am going to evict them at 3.00 and will sit in the run without moving. If I see them outside the run, I go out to close it and they try to get in before I can. Hysterical - every day!!!!

PS Holly was spayed too.

burrowing bun

My buns love to dig burrows and they are rather good at too!:oops::lol:the only problem i have with this is that they tend to forget to stop:lol:so i end up sitting out at night with a torch waiting for the naughty buns to decide it,s a good time to go and have their supper:oops:
If the burrow gets too long a put some bricks at the end otherwise they would finish up in Australia:lol:
I wouldn,t worry as rabbits naturally dig:)

Maybe I am lucky that my buns' burrow is inside an A frame as I can physically block it off and save the torch scenario. Although I have been there and done that too. Usually when I've forgotten to lock up or they have stayed put. Wolfie is the worst.

Also I went out one morning and could only see Wolfie. Couldn't see Gloria anywhere. I was convinced she had escaped. Was all down the street looking for her etc. Turned out she had gone down the burrow for a snooze and appeared an hour later with that 'What did I miss?' look. Boy was I relieved. Sometimes they are both down it.

I will see how it goes and make sure the burrow stays inside the run,the run is all flagged apart from the middle which was there dig patch

burroowing bun

I would keep an eye on just how deep the burrow gets:shock:eek:r you may find that bun gets down there and you can,t reach him/her to get them out:oops:
I have had this scenario with one of my boys and was sitting out in the run with my trusty torch at 12.30 am trying to keep foxes at bay and persuade Alex that it would be a good idea if he would just go into his house:shock:in the end i let his partner out and she went down the burrow and he followed her out:)phew:?the bricks came out the next day and the burrow was blocked off:)i was surprised just how deep it was as it went under the bottom of their bun house and was about ten feet long:shock:

If any of the reproductive tissue was left behind during her spey it appears a female rabbit can still display signs of hormone induced behaviour.

That said even the time of year seems to have an affect on the way neutered pairs interact so maybe its true of the nesting instinct in does.

thumper does this every time hes out in his run.lovely big big run n alls he wants to do is dig my lawn!!!!got little holes where ive had move his run about!little monkey!x:lol:god i love that lad!:oops::lol:x

Our 2 are out in the garden most weekends & late afternoon too now it's staying light longer. The burrowing bug has bitten Lillie & Trooper as well this weekend.

I always keep a check on their progress after our bridge buns Pepsi & Hazel tunnelled through to next door and feasted on their plants :lol:

Mike

One of my girls loves to burrow so I have to keep an eye on her wen she is out. Wen we move and make the bunny barn we intent to put a huge covered run from the shed to the house wiv some digging areas for them .
Lisa xx

My last two pairs of rabbits have been boys and neither pair have dug no more than to get at roots of a plant. I have had girl rabbits in the past and they dug and dug! We had a garden that had holes everywhere! I don't know if it's that boys are generally lazy or just the ones I've had.

I do think this time of year neutered rabbits display intact rabbit behaviour. Spring is in the air!

Was all down the street looking for her etc. Turned out she had gone down the burrow for a snooze and appeared an hour later with that 'What did I miss?' look. Boy was I relieved. Sometimes they are both down it.

:lol: Chico did that to me once, I had to let out one of the girls :roll:

You should see the tunnel that Harley has taken over digging from Bandit :roll:

Heres some pics

burrow008.jpg

burrow010.jpg

And she is still going strong:lol:

erm, it's great she's having fun and good enrichment but it could cause problems if she doesn't stop :shock: I'd be tempted to dig it out to a couple of feet. Line it with mesh and then fill it back in. That way they can dig as much as they like and you don't have to worried about finding them again!

Back