• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I truly despair of my fragile bunnies! U/D both bunnies bouncing back :)

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
If I wrote every time these bunnies go into stasis or near stasis, well I'd bore you all stupid! ;) Anyway, I decided to put them outside for an hour to give them some fresh air and sun for a change. I put their run on concrete, put all their toys and water in there, along with their usual litter tray full of hay. The weather was lovely - not too hot, not too cold, and they looked pleased to be out. It was also relatively quiet (apart from the odd dog bark). Well, having got them in, Clover is now showing obvious signs of stasis.

Have given her meds and I'm sure she will perk up soon, but.... aaargh, I just need to let off steam!!! :shock:

Last edited:
If I wrote every time these bunnies go into stasis or near stasis, well I'd bore you all stupid! ;) Anyway, I decided to put them outside for an hour to give them some fresh air and sun for a change. I put their run on concrete, put all their toys and water in there, along with their usual litter tray full of hay. The weather was lovely - not too hot, not too cold, and they looked pleased to be out. It was also relatively quiet (apart from the odd dog bark). Well, having got them in, Clover is now showing obvious signs of stasis.

Have given her meds and I'm sure she will perk up soon, but.... aaargh, I just need to let off steam!!! :shock:

I kow exactly what you mean!!
I hope Clover recovers quickly

Janex

Thanks Jane. :) It's mad isn't it? Might have had nothing to do with being outside (a complete coincedence), but... aaargh!

Aww Bless them! They are so lucky to have such an ace Mum to look after their poorly tums Sarah! Sending cuddles to little Clover, Poor girl XX

I can sympathise. At Christmas, I gave my two some posh new hay (only a handful), as a treat, sure enough Smokey got GI Stasis!

I've come to the conclusion that some rabbits are just more prone to it then others.

Lots of vibes for your poorly girl.

FC xx

Thanks v much everyone. :)

FC, I've never forgotten you saying that you 'only have to look at your bunnies funny' to give them stasis! :lol:

I sympathise too... I've only dealt with it twice before but I'm going through it at the moment with a different bunny :(

I'm going through it now with Molly. So terrifing, especially as I haven't got any meds or anything to give her, just water. If she's the same or worse in morning, going to vet.

Thanks guys - it's definitely less stressful having meds available. However, Clover is so far not responding.... And, worse, I have a huge family emergency. :( I have stayed here with the bunnies, but am in the process of winding myself up like a spring! :shock: Just told Clover she'd got to get well 'or else'. :oops:

Hope all the other poorly bunnies poo for you soon....

I'm going through it now with Molly. So terrifing, especially as I haven't got any meds or anything to give her, just water. If she's the same or worse in morning, going to vet.

Have you not read enough on these forums to know this is a life threatening condition? Someone else has lost a rabbit tonight before they had time to get the poor thing to the vets.

Rabbits are not a creature to play 'wait and see' with especially if you have no CCN experience or medical supplies.

Have you not read enough on these forums to know this is a life threatening condition? Someone else has lost a rabbit tonight before they had time to get the poor thing to the vets.

Rabbits are not a creature to play 'wait and see' with especially if you have no CCN experience or medical supplies.

I've started a thread on this already on Rabbit Care. Doing exactly as people have told me on that thread.

Oh my God, I am crying with relief. :cry::cry::cry: I was getting more and more helpless with Clover and nothing was helping. I'd actually started to prepare myself for her death (was bawling my eyes out). Was also feeling like I should be at the hospital (my father in law is v ill). Anyway, out of desperation I decided to make a peppermint tea and syringe that into her (mint always helps my stomach!) I don't know how much time passed - really not much (half an hour max) and she's bouncing around scoffing hay and acting like nothing has happened! Honestly, if you could see her before you would really think it a miracle. Going to give them mint tea every day now I think! :lol:

Thanks for your support everyone - it means a lot. x

Hi all, I've just joined but I know exactly what you mean about the stasis. I've lost one bunnie to it and her brother is beside me now suffering with it. I've administered pineapple juice so its a case of wait and see now. :(

Its good to hear of a success story, well done SarahP, that was a brainwave!

im glad she will be ok. i can sympathise with everyone whos going through this with a bun right now. my rex Enya came down with stasis (again) on saturady.

Thanks Leanne! :) Another crisis averted...

It's so difficult to know what to do and at what point to say 'enough is enough', that it isn't fair to let them keep on going through this. So hard when they are well between attacks though.

Back