• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

are fir trees safe to eat?

xSarahx

Warren Scout
Just noticed my little ones can reach the lower branches of the fir tree. Are these safe for buns to eat?

I'd be interested to hear the outcome of this because we had a real tree at Christmas and if they aren't harmful to buns I'd like to have one again next christmas.

You'd be at it all day! :lol:

We have cut all the branches and leaves off our christmas tree and stripped the bark (in case it was treated) and have given it to the buns. It was a spruce though.

I thought they were poisonous as there are toxins in the sap as well as the leaves :?

Personally I wouldn't risk it :?

i read that officially they were poisonous somewhere BUT my rabbits always lived in garden and had access to fir trees which they nibbled from time to time i dont think they were eating them but more so that they were biting the branches in their way off so we didnt worry too much. but i would keep an eye on them we never had a ne probs but that is not to say you couldnt.

hate to be picky here - but what TYPE of 'fir tree'?

Do you actually mean 'fir' or are you just meaning generally a coniferous needle type of tree? (which could actually be a whole range of things which aren't firs)

Could you send a piccy (close up and distance?)

Apologies - - but it does matter!

:)

When we first got our Christmas tree, Sharmi the lop nibbled at a couple of pine needles that she could reach. I'm sure they smelled delicious, but maybe they didn't make her feel very well, or maybe they weren't as delicious as they smelled because she never ate them again so it didn't amount to a problem.

There's firs (feathery type lighter green branches which are softer to the touch) and pines (dark green, spiky needles). The pines are quite acidic and contain poisonous toxins. Firs are also acidic but slightly less so. In any case I'd avoid letting the buns eat them but nor would I panic if they did consume some once in a while. If the bunnies have eaten from evergreen for a long time, I'd look out for any build in acidy especially in older age. A good way to find out is by buying ph urine test strips called multistix. They cost about £20 but it is worth it. A ph above 10 or below 7 means the balance is out of synch so you 'd best take bunnie to the vet and get some bloods done too.

Back