• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Netherland Dwarf Rabbits

RusselRocky

Mama Doe
Hello,
I am looking for a female Netherland Dwarf Rabbit as a mate for my lovely little boy, but I live in Aberdeen and I don't seem to ever come across them. He is reaching 1 year old now and I have been told that I should really neuter him by the age of 2 so am despetately searching now!!

Please let me know if anyone hears of anything nearby!! :D
Thanks

You dont need to find a mate before neutering him, getting him done sooner will give him plenty of time to calm down before pairing him up.

I assume you have searched rabbitrehome?

can i ask why you particularly want a nethie? There are lots of small mixed breed rabbits needing homes!

It's best to get him neutered before introducing a girly bun to prevent fights, unless you want to breed which is definately not advisable as there are far too many unwanted buns in the world.

Russels mate

Yes I would like to breed them, appologies if I didnt make myself clear! I have been told that to give him a happier and longer life I should get an unbred male neutered at 2. I would like to breed from him before that time. Has anyone got any ideas where I could find a female netherland dwarf in Scotland?

Thanks for your help!! :D

Breeding is not adviseable. Why do you want to breed him? Is he a good example of the breed? Or just cos you want cute fluffy bunnies running around the place? There are already too many bunnies in the world. Why not get him neutered now and he can enjoy a fab life with his wifey-bun.

It would be better if you just got a female for his as a companion. There are over 33,000 rabbits in rehoming or rescue sites because there aren't enough homes for them. Do you really want your baby bunnies to go to homes where they might not be looked after properly. Sometimes people put them on freead sites and people who have snakes take them as food. Better just to enjoy them for their own sake and not breed from them. Please.

I have been told that to give him a happier and longer life I should get an unbred male neutered at 2. I would like to breed from him before that time.

Thats very odd. Most people would neuter a male rabbit at around 4-6 months old. I'm not sure why 2 years is supposed to be a better age :? :? :?

What would you do with the babies when they arrived? :?

The only reason I can see for breeding is to improve the breed, in which case surely you'd be prepared to travel a distance (hundreds of miles) to get the perfect doe not just look around your local area. Even so I wouldn't advise breeding for those purposes.
If you're not breeding to improve the breed and to show, then why are you breeding? There are far too many unwanted bunnies in the world, there's no point adding to the problem. Also you can't make a living or even much of a profit from breeding as for nethies I can't imagine you'd get much more than £20 for each baby, that £20 you will have already spent on the extra care for the doe and in food, bedding and extra hutches for the babies.

If you plan to keep all the babies then fair enough, but there could be in excess of 10 in a litter, could you care for them all and do you have enough space? Plus surely your first concern would be the temperment of the doe not the breed.

I'm afraid any intentional breeder will not get a positive reply on here, especially any novice breeder.

I would like to have one litter and keep them all.

what if they have 8 babies? Can you afford to neuter all of them, vaccinate them every year and have enough room for them all to live?

I would consider rehoming a few rescue bunnies (who would otherwise be put to sleep) if you have plenty of room and money for them :D

I only asked where I could find a female netherland, I am aware there are a lot of unwanted bunnies in the world but my certain fondness is for Netherland dwarfs and there are none of these for rehoming. I do not wish for breeding advice I have bought a lot of books on the subject and all I want is a litter from my bunny because he is a lovely boy and would rather know the character of my youngsters.

I only asked where I could find a female netherland, I am aware there are a lot of unwanted bunnies in the world but my certain fondness is for Netherland dwarfs and there are none of these for rehoming. I do not wish for breeding advice I have bought a lot of books on the subject and all I want is a litter from my bunny because he is a lovely boy and would rather know the character of my youngsters.

They may not have the same character as your male rabbit, why not look through rescues for nethies and then just home a couple of them?

Hiya - do you know the genetic history of your little chap? If you are definitely going to breed, it's really important that you shoul only do so from rabbits (male AND female) of known genetic history. Netherland dwarves in particular are well known for having frequent genetic traits which can result in dental problems, so unless you can be 100% certain that both the buck and doe have clean genetic lines with no dental problems, you are more than likely breeding these characteristics as they are incredibly common in nethies. Obviously apart from the suffering this gives to the animals it does also mean huge vet bills!

I'm surprised you've been unable to find rescue nethies, they are usually quite common - if you can't find any online I'd suggest you ring around rescues to see what is available - although obviously rescues won't rehome to you if you are planning on breeding and will want to ensure that the buck is neutered first. Rescues also often have a lot of buns on waiting lists and regularly have new buns in so there is a good chance that you won't have to wait for long!

There is nothing quite like a loved up pair of nethies, mine are absolutely devoted to each other :D

db728e09.jpg

30062006007.jpg

Last edited:
So your saying that rather than stopping rabbits being put to death, your going to breed just because 'you have a certain fondness' for netherland dwarfs? I'm sorry if I'm sounding rude but this just seems stupid.

nethies dont usally have more than 4 babies!
And just because the father maybe nice doesnt mean the kits will be anything like dad as you are using 2 parents to make the kits so they can turn the complete opposite also grandparents, great grandparents also play a role in genitics so unless you know the complete history i would recomend breeding also nethies are prone to teeth and gut probs unless you really expertly know what your doing dont do it.
Books are nothing like the real life, also if you have a wide range of info you will see alot of it will conridict each other!
Where did the father come from?

I absolutely adore Nethies but no matter how lovely your little one is, I see no reason to bring more into the world, when there are many homeless, lovely Nethies in rescues. My boy Comet, is a gorgeous Nethie with the sweetest of temperments and if I hadnt rescued him, he'd have been dog food.... please look into rescueing one/some if you REALLY are fond of them. :wave:

So your saying that rather than stopping rabbits being put to death, your going to breed just because 'you have a certain fondness' for netherland dwarfs? I'm sorry if I'm sounding rude but this just seems stupid.

Not really what i said was it? You seem to be looking for things that arent there to suit your agenda. I have been unable to find one in my local rehoming centres. And more than anything all i want is a companion for my bunny.

Yes you do sound rude by the way.

Back