• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mo's Fight To Get Better-U/D 20th March-We Have Lost Her :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I thought I would start another thread for Mo so as I can edit the thread title if needs be. The origional thread was started by Theo and can be seen here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=116240

Mo is still struggling :cry: Despite heavy duty analgesia she is still getting break-through pain :cry: Her hock is swelling up more, indicating active infection :cry: Mo is due her next Depocillin injection tomorrow. However, I am going to ask Christabel if we can switch to daily Ceporex. I really dont think the Depocillin every 3 days is enough. And if given more frequently Mo's guts may be adversely effected. But to be honest I think we are in the last chance saloon now :cry:

Mo is still eating, but only little amounts. She is doing a few poos but het guts are understandably very sluggish. Another concern I have is Mo's front paws are getting sore :cry:No-where near as bad as her hocks, but any soreness on her front feet is the last thing she needs :cry:

Please keep the vibes coming. I so want to be able to help Mo but at the moment things are not looking good.

:cry::cry:

Picture2057.jpg

Janexm

Last edited:
Come on Mo....don't give up my beautiful bunny.
There are so many people behind you little girl:love:

Jane..her foot swelling up is very worrying. This is a new thing and doesn't sound good at all, esp. as you say it indicates active infection.:(

I know you are doing everything you can for her and it is very much appreciated as im sure you know.

I know i was giving Mo an injection of abx every 3 days and it didn't seem to help..would that be the same one?

I will see you later today Jane.
xx

Loads of prayers being said for Mo and loads of healing vibes as well, keep fighting Mo we are all behind you xx

Come on Mo....don't give up my beautiful bunny.
There are so many people behind you little girl:love:

Jane..her foot swelling up is very worrying. This is a new thing and doesn't sound good at all, esp. as you say it indicates active infection.:(

I know you are doing everything you can for her and it is very much appreciated as im sure you know.

I know i was giving Mo an injection of abx every 3 days and it didn't seem to help..would that be the same one?

I will see you later today Jane.
xx

The Vet you saw did not forward all of Mo's notes, only those up to 19th October 2007 :?
It sounds as though it *might* have been Depocillin that you were giving. Was it a thickish white liquid?

Me and Christabel will continue to do our best to try to help Mo. But I think we have to prepare ourselves for a sad outcome :cry:
Mo has just eaten some greens and some apple and I will start giving her sub-cut fluids today as she is not drinking. With all the drugs going into her her kidneys need some help.

We will see you later

Janex

awww poor girl :( If only culture tests didn't take a week :roll: I hestitate to mention it again (stuck record syndrome :oops:) but metronidazole works on anaerobic bacteria and Maa only needed a week's course - it didn't upset her tum at all in that time either. Hope she fights it - I guess all the upheaval's stressed her too - if only she knew it was for her own good! :(

Mo sounds like a real fighter, I do hope that the abx work and that she does improve.

I am sending ALL my get well vibes to this lovely girl.

Willow - whatever happens you have done the right thing. I pray it is a good outcome.

Jane and Christobel - what more can I say, "Saints".

Jane....it was a greenish/yellowish liquid i gave her via injection.
We will be leaving in about 15 minutes, so will see you soon:wave:

awww poor girl :( If only culture tests didn't take a week :roll: I hestitate to mention it again (stuck record syndrome :oops:) but metronidazole works on anaerobic bacteria and Maa only needed a week's course - it didn't upset her tum at all in that time either. Hope she fights it - I guess all the upheaval's stressed her too - if only she knew it was for her own good! :(

A swab would not really help as Mo has been on abx already :?
Metronidazole will zap anaerobes but I think there's a lot more than anaerobic bacteria involved here :?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh why cant I just wave a magic wand and make her better :cry:

Janex

you can safely combine metronidazole with baytril, if that's any use - no idea about using it with stonger antibiotics though.

C'mon Mo - just do your best with Jane & Christabel you've got the best of the best of care.

Healing vibes on their way to you.

Jack's-Jane you are a hero and a star - yet again you've come up trumps for a rabbit in need.

Last edited:
Oh Poor Mo. Sending loads of vibes from us here.
Hoping and praying for you gorgeous girl, keep fighting x x x

I don't think I am telling you anything that you don't already knows, but here's a ref. from that ebook I want to give it to you, the one that crashes your computer:

"Lesions start as erythematous decubital ulcers that become infected, usually w/ S. aureus, from contamined bedding. Infected ulcers develop into abscesses covered w/ raised, dry, hyperkeratotic, fibrotic scabs. Infection can spread to underlying bone, causing osteomyelitis and sepsis.

For treatment of pododermatitis, submit samples of abscessed tissue for bacterial culture and sensitivity testing and take radiographs of the legs to check for osteomyelitis. Clean wounds w/ antiseptics, debride necrotic tissue and bandage area daily w/ light dressings, such as Tegaderm (3M medical-surgical division) to protect weight-bearing surfaces of the feet.

Topical antibiotics, such as silver sulfadiazine (Silvadene Cream 1%, from Monarch Pharmaceuticals) and systemic antibiotics, selected based on results of culture and sensitivity testing, usually are warranted. Provide solid cage floors and clean soft, dry bedding. Debride and flush abscessed tissue, and consider packing severe abscesses w/ AIPMMA beads. Modify the diet of obese rabbits to increase fiber and lower carbohydrates, and encourage exercise. Unilteral pododermatitis unresponsive to treatment may require amputation at midfemur"

Back