• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new baby rabbits at pet shop!!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
The pet shop I work at got 10 new baby rabbits today. SOOOOOOOOOO cute!!! There are two dog crates, must be only 32", and there are 5 in each. There are 4 Netherland Dwarfs, 1 lionhead and 5 Dwarf Lops. A few of the dwarf lops are helicopter and look adorable. They are split into female and male cages, which I think it very sensible of the shop to do so. Whether they are the right sex or not, remains to be seen. They are sooooooo nervous though. You put your hand in and they freak out. But I'll tame them. They also had three guinea-pigs in one small cage. The rabbits were £35 each for females and £39 each for the males. The rabbit hutch they are selling is tiny, must be only 2ft long and it's single storey. :censored:

Are you allowed to sell a 2ft hutch with a rabbit? Can you not give them some information on correct hutch sizes or report them

It might be very sensible of the shop to seperate the males and females, but it would be more sensible if they stopped selling them at all or at least sold them with suitable housing :evil:

The rabbit isn't sold with the hutch, but hutches are available to anyone. They sometimes have ok hutches, like 4ft double but some are disgusting!!! It is quite common for them to sell 2ft double/single, 3ft double/single. Only had one hutch that I would happily put one Netherland Dwarf in, but only with an attached run. They can't really store huge hutches, so they have to sell smaller ones. I know, they shouldn't sell them at all, but it's a business.

Last edited:
Well if they can't stock the correct living accommodation for the animals they are selling, they shouldn't have a licence to sell animals. It isn't good enough for them to sell a small hutch. The people who come to buy a rabbit from a pet shop assume if there are small hutches that these hutches are suitable because a pet shop is stocking them. The assumption is that the pet shop has knowledge and expertise with the animals they sell. Perhaps a little word of advice to the owner about the Animal Welfare Act and its provisions for the habitation of animals.

Why do you work there?

Because I get money and I love looking after the animals. And I agree with NickiM. They should sell at least 5ft hutches. When I was looking for my 6ft hutch, I found it extremely hard to find it. But the licence is for the living accommedation whilst they are in the shop, not what the owners buy. And they can sell whichever size hutch they like, which I must say, I do not agree with.

Last edited:
Well if that is the case then, Tesco wouldn't have to have withdrawn hundreds of miniscule hutches that were not fit for purpose. I don't dispute that the licence covers the conditions that the animals are kept in whilst on the premises. However, the sale of the hutches contravenes the Animal Welfare legislation and possibly is an abuse of Trading Standards because the product is not fit for the purpose for which it is being sold, i.e. it is not big enough to provide a rabbit with a home which allows it to express itself naturally and live in comfort. I would expect a pet shop to stock products that did this without compromise! Shame on them. I say again, they should be acquainted with the contents of the relevant legislation and/or a quiet phone call made to the RSPCA to ask them to judge whether these products meet welfare standards. I would be surprised if a 2 foot hutch did.

erm,i can actually say that the rspca told someone i knew that a 2ft hutch was ok.i posted a thread about it a while ago.they seem to think that as long as they have plenty of food n water n they clean the hutch size didnt matter.i was disgusted by this.x:evil:

Back