• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore Hock, U/D pics

I think it's basically the heel. Have you noticed that buns have a tiny circle on the heal that is almost hairless? I believe this is the hock, and in rexes can get particularly sore.

:?well peanuts is about the size of a penny, its a kinda purpleish grey and when i touch it feels a little swollen. the skin looks a little bit dry but there is no open wound.

will be taking him to the vets monday or tuesday.

thing is...ive been looking it up on the internet and he doesnt fit any of the causes?

he isnt overweight at all
he isnt old
he has a huge hutch which is always clean and soft
He never has long claws
and he gets loads of exercise :?

Does he get exercise on concrete or carpet? As sometimes this can cause sore hocks in some rabbits.
If he doesn`t have an open wound that`s good that it hasn`t gone that far but i would definately take him to your vet as if it`s swollen he may have an inner infection that needs treating. Does it feel hot?
I would definately keep him on soft bedding for now & try & encourage him to rest it if that`s possible, (knowing what bunnies are like )!

HTH

Su.x

well hes either on grass or concrete, depending on the weather.
the bedding he has is soft hay and straw and the entire hutch is covered in it, i havent let him out today im keeping him inside his hutch. it doesnt feel hot.

just a question for people who have had this happen...
sods law i bought a lovely new run yesterday so i havent got as much cash as normal...however i have £55 in my bank account but if i take him monday do you think that would be enough? (if he has 2 go back in say a weeks time that dusnt matter cus i will have been paid by then! sot his is for one consultation)

i can borrow some cash of my mum so he will get seen to, i jus wondered if that is enough il take him monday, if not it would have 2 be wednesday or borrow cash from mum.

(dont worry he will be seen!! please dont think he wont)

I always think 'hocks' look a bit pink and dry anyway, even when theyre supposedly healthy, I guess its because its a weight bearing area. :?

It's normal for rabbits to have a small bald circle - which like Jill says often looks a bit red/dry. It's usually got a 'flap' of fur folded over it. Sore hocks are on the bottom of the foot, they aren't necessarily just on the heel they can be on any point the foot takes weight so the base of the toes too.

Tamsinn

PM'ed jane and she recommended taking a photo so i will post one here.

he did always have a bald patch or dry skin there ever since i had him, but its never looked like this, which makes me sure it isnt quire right. he seems perfectly happy though, so i know it isnt hurting him.

got some piccies, had to get my mum to hold him because otherwise ic ouldnt get a photo, luckily he doesnt object to being held

Picture075.jpg

Picture076.jpg

Picture079.jpg

lol my mum had just said "sarah jane i do have other things to do you know"

Picture080Large.jpg
just cus i <3 him

(he isnt overweight he is v fluffy, when u feel him he is bones!)

It looks like the normal bald spot they have. He has lovely thick fur on his feet so I shouldn't think he's at high risk or sore hocks. It's not common in lop breeds as they tend to have big thick fluffy feet.

Tam

dosent look like broken skin thro all that fluff hun.... and awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww i love him

He's cute. His bedding isnt wet is it? or does he exercise on wet ground? Opal had what i thought was turning into sore hocks, (not a problem anymore, now she is living in a massive shed), and it was because her run was getting wet with all the rain. Or me just being paranoid!!

Last edited:
its not broken its just bald.....just wondered why he would get it? he has been on the run on the grass alot recently, and its been wet?

Back