• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Still pondering hutch/runs.. what do you think to this one?

I would never buy ANY of those makes of hutch - I've got one and it's too small, although it was easy to build compared to the happyhutch ones - the quality of the wood is very poor as it's so soft they eat through it in no time, and I hate the wire panels - they allow mice to access the hutch! it also smelt very strongly of wood preserver when I got mine - and the bunny that lived in it died a few months later for no apparent reason but fumes like that can cause liver damage....

Meanwhile, the hutch in your link looks big, but it's not - it's just a 3x6 run, with a 2x3 hutch on top - way too small! I would stick with happyhutch for size, quality and value for money - the 2x5 hutch over same sized run I have for Benny is perfect :)

Bah! It looks so lovely though, but yeah I did figure it was too good to be true!

I just don't really like the happy hutches all that much :? I am looking at Ryedale ones but they are a pretty penny and come ready made, so I'd have to figure out if we'd be able to get it into the garden!

I think I like the look of double hutches and attaching a run myself.. you don't seem to be able to get double hutch and run combos [do you??]

I am really worrying that they're not going to have enough sapce.. after all, they are free in a what.. probably 18ft x 12ft room right now with intermittent opporunities to run madly out on the landing/in the bathroom.. I feel like such a meanie having to coop them up.. :(

happyhutch do a really good deal on ebay too - if you do a search for 'massive hutch' it will come up - it's a 2x6 hutch over a 4x6 run - plenty big enough although I prefer the double decker types as they have doors on the bottom run part, which is handy as my bunnies don't like being picked up.

I have a happy hutch.I have only had it since the new year and now i wish i had got a childs wooden playhouse and put a run on the side,my hubby would go mad if he knew i wasnt happy with it as it cost quite a bit.Ebay is good,they have pages of hutches

Jackie x

It really isn't that difficult to build your own hutch / run - if you keep the dimensions to standard lengths then you don't even need to cut the wood. Places like B&Q will cut the ply for the roof to size. You will end up with a much better quality product (I speak from experience - my shop bought run is no where near as good quality as the one I made myself).

It really isn't that difficult to build your own hutch / run - if you keep the dimensions to standard lengths then you don't even need to cut the wood. Places like B&Q will cut the ply for the roof to size. You will end up with a much better quality product (I speak from experience - my shop bought run is no where near as good quality as the one I made myself).

Heheh, yeah, I can just imagine the monstrosity that would arise from doing it myself.. It's not that I'm not clued up enough to figure out how to do it.. but I get frustrated very easily and it's best I don't put myself in such situations :lol::lol:

Bah! It looks so lovely though, but yeah I did figure it was too good to be true!

I just don't really like the happy hutches all that much :? I am looking at Ryedale ones but they are a pretty penny and come ready made, so I'd have to figure out if we'd be able to get it into the garden!

I think I like the look of double hutches and attaching a run myself.. you don't seem to be able to get double hutch and run combos [do you??]

I am really worrying that they're not going to have enough sapce.. after all, they are free in a what.. probably 18ft x 12ft room right now with intermittent opporunities to run madly out on the landing/in the bathroom.. I feel like such a meanie having to coop them up.. :(

I love my Ryedale hutch, its well worth the money :D But yeh thats a problem getting it into the garden. I wanted to have mine 3ft wide at first but it wouldnt have got through the back gate so I couldnt. I even considered taking our fence pannels down and bringing it through the neighbours garden but it wouldnt have fit round the corner to get into her garden :lol:

Back