• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo stuck to bottom of Lion head

Turbobek

Young Bun
Good morning, hope your all well.

I have noticed over the last few days that George (my male lion head, 3 years old) has some poo stick to his bottom / genital area. I was hoping that he would get this off himself but it seems not.

I just attempted to take this off by first cuddling him them slowly putting him on his back inbetween my knees, he was fine once settle but the poo is (excuse me with this....) hard and stuck on right near his man bits.

Can anyone help with how to get it off, i would sit him in water but he fell in the pond at my mums 2 years ago which was an ordeal for him so i am not sure if hes now scared of water...

Any help would be appricated.

Thanks

Becky & George!

Hi - unless he is a house bunny don't get him wet - its too cold. Try dusting the area in cornflower and gently rubbing the poo covered fur with your fingers, it should start to loosen and come off but beware its not a quick process.

If its really bad then I would take him to the vet so they can shave the area.

Finally, have you changed is diet, you also need to find out why he has sticky poo's.

Hi, thanks....
I give them a lot of veggies, normally every other day and alternate it with a bowl of food.

I though they had small sticky poos and pellets. My other rabbit does not have the stuck to bottom poo problem.

They are house buns too, live in the conservatory in the winter but i am still trying to avoid giving him a bath due to pond incident.

Hi, thanks....
I give them a lot of veggies, normally every other day and alternate it with a bowl of food.

I though they had small sticky poos and pellets. My other rabbit does not have the stuck to bottom poo problem.

They are house buns too, live in the conservatory in the winter but i am still trying to avoid giving him a bath due to pond incident.

Right, well clean up first - if poo bun (soory don't know name :oops:) can be kept warm then get some cotton wool balls, soak them in warm water and gently try and loosen the poo - you don't need to dunk him. Use cotton buds too, they are also great for getting in between large clumps to loosen it. How much does he have on him?

I had a bun come in to me who was covered in about 1cm thick in an area of about 15cm all round - she had to be shaved under GA.

Second his diet, while he has a sticky bottom stop giving veg for a day or two, give him loads and loads of hay - in intervals so its fresh and he will eat it and a few pellets(only once a day). Once he's clean you can gradually start introducing veg again, avoid too many carrots, kale, savoy etc and stick to spring greens, and celery until he settles.

Good luck x

hi, thanks very much for your help. It looks like he is having a go at getting it off himself so i will leave him for a few hours. I have just cleaned the cage out and topped up the hay rack so i will try that.

I will let you know how i get on over the weekend. I hate having to tip him upside down but i hope he realises it for his own sake!!

Have a great day today, the weathers so lovely i feel like taking them for a walk!

I can recommend cornflour too, if you can get a bunny to sit still long enough.

As for diet, it's best if they have the same every day, so rather than alternate pellets with veg day by day, give less pellets and less veg, every day. If they are overweight they won't be able to reach around to their poops as easily either, so tend to turn around to eat them, and sometimes sit on them by accident. Really house rabbits need very few pellets - just a couple of teaspoon full a day. Also if you are leaving them with food all day or night, they won't eat their sticky poops properly as there's more interesting stuff to eat there - food and veggies should be gone in about 15 mins. The rest of the time they should have nice greenish, longish hay to eat - a fresh bundle morning and evening :)

Well i have been to Wilkinson and brought some cotton wool to sit George on and some cotton buds, i am struggling working out how can cornflower is going help but hey i will give anything a go if it helps George get better!!

Will update tomz morning once i have tried sorting it tonight!

Thanks for everyones help...

(Rabbits are not overweight as they have the run of the house everyday but i have increased there food a little so i think maybe thats the reason and like you say if there is something nicer to eat they wont do what they are supposed to do with the poo! - nice thought!!)

Ok, well armed with cottom wool soaked in water, cotton bugs and corn flower i attempted to sort out georges bottom!

He was very good and layed on his back (Which he never does) and didnt make a sound. i was very impressed and managed to get most of it off.

By the 5th turn he was panting a little and making little wimpering noises so i left it for the day.

I went into the conservatory about an hour later and he ran up to me for a cuddle so he must have known what i was trying to do!

Thanks for all the help and advise, going to have another go tonight to get the remainder off!

Back