• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - humping bunny!!

Woodlouse

Mama Doe
Our 14 week old female Trix has decided to hump for England this evening. She's part of a recently bonded foursome and, needless to say, the others (all neutered) aren't taking kindly to her advances! She's even humping top bun Ant! Some chasing and fur pulling as a result :(

Is she too young to be spayed? And when she is spayed, will she be able to go back with the others quickly?

Last thing I want at the moment is for their bond to degenerate ... or to have to start from the beginning again after her spay.

All advice gratefully received! Thanks x

First off yes she is to young to be spayed. My vet recommends spaying at 6 months for does. After she is spayed however the friendship that the rest of the herd and "Trix" has will be gone and you'll have to start the whole process over again.

Make "visits" with Trix and the other rabbits put her in a low cage in your play pen and put the rest of the rabbits in. Eventually they will get comfortable around her again. I'm not exactly an expert on the subject of rabbit friendships (I slept through that class) since I am more of a rabbit Showman and Breeder. Not to say I don't have pets there are simply some bunnies that cannot ever leave this rabbitry. LOL

Anyway I hope I helped!

AgoutiLover

Yup, still too young to be spayed. Depending on her size some vets will do it from about 4 or 5 months, but it's usually 6. It's best to separate her from the group but still let them have access to each other under supervision so you can prevent her trying to mount anyone. Then once she's been spayed and has healed you can re-introduce them. Hopefully if they've been allowed to sniff and see each other the group will take her back, but you'll probably need some patience.

No Abi she is not too young for spay, I took Pumpkin in this morning for a review and she is plenty big enough and is booked in for Thurs. Trix is much bigger than her! Ollie was spayed on 1st and was quiet for 2 days, her fur has grown back already and she is back to her normal self, she recovered with Will who was done on the same day.

Trix & her siblings are advanced for their age, she will be fine. xxx

After she is spayed however the friendship that the rest of the herd and "Trix" has will be gone and you'll have to start the whole process over again.

I can't say that's something I've ever seen from having females spayed in the past and then going back in with their partners, although I appreciate it is a possibility.

First off yes she is to young to be spayed. My vet recommends spaying at 6 months for does. After she is spayed however the friendship that the rest of the herd and "Trix" has will be gone and you'll have to start the whole process over again.

Make "visits" with Trix and the other rabbits put her in a low cage in your play pen and put the rest of the rabbits in. Eventually they will get comfortable around her again. I'm not exactly an expert on the subject of rabbit friendships (I slept through that class) since I am more of a rabbit Showman and Breeder. Not to say I don't have pets there are simply some bunnies that cannot ever leave this rabbitry. LOL

Anyway I hope I helped!

AgoutiLover

Not sure this is such a good idea, I would have though it could make the other buns fight between themselves, kind of reffered aggresion?

Not sure this is such a good idea, I would have though it could make the other buns fight between themselves, kind of reffered aggresion?

yes it would, if my group's behaviour round other rabbits is anything to go by - plus they will try and bite each other through the bars usually too - Tia got a nasty wound on her nose when I tried this method :(

As for the humping, my group of 4 girls are quite tolerant of a bit of humping, so long as they have plenty of space and can run away, and have boxes to jump in, chairs to climb on etc. I think you only need split them if the rest of the group are returning it with aggression - but you would need to keep an eye on things incase one of them gets fed up and turns on her.

Thanks everyone. We are, of course, keeping a close eye on them. Their bunny room is plenty big enough for the others to run away! It's interesting cos whilst Trix is happy to go and give them a hump, if Ant walks towards her she runs away!! :lol: Funny bunnies!!

Will talk to my vet in the week and see about getting her spayed, particularly as Pumpkin (her sister) is being done this week. We're away next weekend tho, so really need to leave it til after then so that we can give her the necessary care and attention and supervise any rebonding!

Back