• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gender confused buns.

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
Chris wants me to make a thread to see how many buns are often mistaken for the wrong sex.

For example I have Molly, who is a boy. But his name suggests a girl. Do you think a particular bun looks like a boy or a girl and why.

I keep getting asked why Hazel has a girl's name, but of course in Watership Down, Hazel-Rah is the chief boy leader rabbit (although I think Fiver would have suited his personality better :rolleyes: )

Molly's vet's notes say in big letters, 'Yes he is a boy!' :rolleyes: I saw it once on the computer screen and the vet got really embarressed.

Oh we have Crocus too, which is a girly name. I think he looks like a girl too. :lol:

My girls look like girls and have girly names (Abbigale and Jessica)
And Nunzeo deffinatly looks like the hansom little man he is, but I do get asked why he's called Nunzeo, alot.

Molly's vet's notes say in big letters, 'Yes he is a boy!' :rolleyes: I saw it once on the computer screen and the vet got really embarressed.

Oh we have Crocus too, which is a girly name. I think he looks like a girl too. :lol:

I have to ask, why do you have two boys called Molly and Crocus? Is there a story behind it?

i had a mitzi once we were told he was a she and also when he was 1 year old we were told by experts he was a she however at 1 yr 6months we found out mitzi was infact a boy but he did look like a she:lol::oops:

I have to ask, why do you have two boys called Molly and Crocus? Is there a story behind it?

I got Molly as a baby when I lived in a house share with close friends and one of them (who is now my o/h) was scared of rabbits, so I let him name the rabbit in advance of knowing his gender in the hopes they'd bond better.

he named him Molly after the horse we had when we'd been on holiday earlier in the year.

Crocus is a bit of the watership down flower thing I guess. He was pure white, we didn't want to call him Snowy, but wanted something related to snow.

:lol:

Hazel & Acorn were named from my shortlist by my boyfriend in the hope that they'd bond quicker, we split up 3 months later :(

:( That's poo. Sorry. I didn't really intend to keep Molly's name, I even changed it to Gizmo for a while. But Molly just stuck. :lol:

When i got Oscar from my neighbour it was called Poppy because they thought it was female. I changed it when we found out it was a boy.....2 seconds after i had taken him from her (clue: it had stonking great balls)

I had no worries about changing his name, as he was left outside by himself and never saw life from one day to the next (not even food or bedding) he hadn't taken to 'Poppy' and i think Oscar needs an Oscar for coping with how he was treated.

Also when i got Jasmine from the p@h adoption centre, she was called Jasper and the owners had had her 7 months thinking she was a boy. Also Elsa i got from the p@h adoption and they told me she was a boy, but the owners hadnt even left a name :( . I named her after the lion in born free who was adopted by a couple, because i adopted her from the 'unknown'. (she had no notes)

:( That's poo. Sorry. I didn't really intend to keep Molly's name, I even changed it to Gizmo for a while. But Molly just stuck. :lol:

Thank you - I really am getting over the bitter & twisted stage :oops: I thought about changing their names, but they had already stuck, and why should my love life be inflicted on my rabbits after all?

At least you have a happy story to go with it. Interesting that in both cases the names were given by men - they must be more secure in their sexuality than we give them credit for :lol:

I fostered a bun for Jill once. I collected "Roger" straight from the owners and fostered him for a couple of months. I checked for plums but couldnt find any and thought it was just because I was inexperienced at plum searching. I handed him over to Jill who took him to be neutered and he was a she :oops: Poor little thing. I felt so guilty for calling her a him for the past 2 months.

She is now the gorgeous Roxy belonging to IsabelM :D

Thank you - I really am getting over the bitter & twisted stage :oops: I thought about changing their names, but they had already stuck, and why should my love life be inflicted on my rabbits after all?

At least you have a happy story to go with it. Interesting that in both cases the names were given by men - they must be more secure in their sexuality than we give them credit for :lol:

:lol: He says Molly isn't just a girl's name to him as he had a mate at college who's nickname was Molly. :shock: So not that secure. :lol:

I think names have a lot of hm... power, or significance? I think if they had a different name they wouldn't be the same bunnies.

Last edited:
Apparently Sasuke is both a boy and girls name in japan:roll:
My Sasu is a boy though, no doubt about that:D My vet even said that when I had his feet examined, the moment she lifted him up she said "he's fully functioning male rabbit I see" :roll: His plums were very visible.:lol:

I remember once my friend called Zakura's sister a boy's name... she "named" her after the boy she thought would buy her, don't remember who it was:oops: The kid wanted a male rabbit though, and took her brother so the female got the name "Nicoline" a few weeks later. :D

Another friend once had a bun called Tore Andrea (first name is a normal boy's name, second is a girl's name in Norway...) Apparently they never found out what sex it was:lol:

I do however remember another funny story from school, not regarding rabbits, but degu.
We had two degu, had no idea what sex they were but we called them "Brownie and Gråtass". Gråtass is a boy's name no doubt about that, Brownie...I guess that could go for both, both of course turned out to be females:lol: But they've kept their names. Now we only have Gråtass left though.

We also had two birds (and one bun) with the name Pelle, which is a popular name for (male) budgies...both birds were girls:lol: The bunny was a boy at least:p Yet another one of Zakura's brothers.
Pelle-pia (pelle-girl) the budgie died, but we still have the cockatiel, PelleMan:lol: The previous owners insisted she was a he, and her mate was female...but Punky (the so-called female) has been spotted mating Pelleman...as well as my classmate's hand:shock: And they're both awful parents:roll: (None of our cockatiels have ever been able to raise a baby...I think Punky and Pelleman were the only two to actually hatch an egg though, but the chicks died within few days:cry:)

well Misty actually looked and acted like a girl and he was for the first 5 months of his life :oops: until i noticed the 2 very large plums :rolleyes: he still acts liek a girl now just doesnt really look like one any more lol if he was human i do genrally believe Misty would be ? (cant remember the name but one of those people who think their in the worng body and dress like a boy/girl?)and would walk around very feminine with one hand bent :oops:

Back