• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sharing a room?

JellyBelly

Mama Doe
Now i have my own house, the guinea pigs will have their own room. However Bertie bun will be outside alone, which i feel mean about.

Are there any health implications from the guinea pigs and Bert sharing a room? They will be in their own hutches/runs.........

Altenatively Bert can have a section of the garden........

By guinea pigs caught Bordatella from Daisy whens he lived in the same shed as her (not literally with her) also the loud wheeking and shuffling seemed to disturb Daisy.

I knew someone had had problems but couldnt remember who or what!

Looks like he will be outside, more reason to get him neutered and married!

The school bunnies live in the same room as the guinea pigs, but on the other side of it though... When the rabbits are exercising they frequently run across towards the guinea pig pen, showing little or no interest in them:roll:
Not sure how close they need to get to inflict each other with diseases, but for now it doesn't appear like any of them carry anything that could be harmful for the other kind:D

rabbits can carry it but not show any signs or pass it on :)

It's been like this for years now and the only disease the GPs ever had was guinea pig mange, and that obviously did not come from the rabbits:D
Out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking; how does Bordatella pass on?

My piggies live in the same room as the bunnies.

The Bordatella organism is actually found on all animals and can be passed through any animal to another so your just as much at risk if you have cats, dogs or any other animal near your piggies.

The chance of them catching it is very small and would usually occur when a guinea pig's immune system is run down for some reason.

My piggies also had a mild URI, i guess that's why they caught it :) other than that my lot used to share room/shed and they seemed fine :)

Back