• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Might be a stupid question but.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
Why do some people get animals as pets knowing they are going to get fed up in a month or two and dump it/them on other people.

I am not talking about ordinary members of the public but those people that know all about rescues and the amount of unwanted and abandoned animals that already exist.

They must know they are adding to the problem and yet they keep doing it......why??

:cry: I have no idea! I guess it's an extreme form of a shopping addiction, they want something so badly, thinking it will make them feel better, then when they realise that isn't the case they want rid :cry: So unfair on the animals, and resuces who pick up the pieces :evil:

:cry: I have no idea! I guess it's an extreme form of a shopping addiction, they want something so badly, thinking it will make them feel better, then when they realise that isn't the case they want rid :cry: So unfair on the animals, and resuces who pick up the pieces :evil:

I could perhaps understand that if they did it just once, and I certainly wouldn't excuse it but when it keeps happening??:shock:

I personally wouldn't have imagined that people that are well aware of rescue situations WOULD keep having pets and then get fed up of them :?

Is this a general observation or are you referring to any people in particular?

I could perhaps understand that if they did it just once, and I certainly wouldn't excuse it but when it keeps happening??:shock:

I agree, there are people that just cant seem to be able to stop themselves, its like they have a pet addiction..... but I guess while theres real caring people around to help pick up the pieces, they'll just carry on doing it. MAkes me very angry. :censored:

I assume there is someone / people inparticular you are thinking of!

I'm afraid it may be a case that isn't one of those million dollar questions! I'm afraid "louise and gus" may have quite a good point! I do shop to cheer myself up sometime (never with animals though), it doesn't really work mind you!

Hannah

I don't know. I am very cut up about this issue! :cry:

I am very saddened that it keeps happening, especially when they say they can't afford more rabbits? Or an illness is so bad or they smell! I guess to some people rabbits are just toys that they pick up and drop when they feel like it. It is extremely upsetting too see that the people who do pick up the pieces try there hardest, get the person out of :censored: then to have this person get more and fill the space of the last animals.

My advice is go out a buy a new top instead of an animal!
xx

I know exactly what you mean! It's like they just don't know their limits. I don't understand how anyone that knows about rescues could go to a petshop and buy a pet knowing there are plenty of animals unwanted waiting for a good home and that by buying an animal from a pet shop they are just adding to the problem.

Sorry rant over!

I know exactly who Snowy is thinking of.

And I don't understand it either, guess its like anything in life....a sort of addiction :?

I know exactly what you mean! It's like they just don't know their limits. I don't understand how anyone that knows about rescues could go to a petshop and buy a pet knowing there are plenty of animals unwanted waiting for a good home and that by buying an animal from a pet shop they are just adding to the problem.

Sorry rant over!

I agree with you 100% couldn't of put it better myself..

Its beyond belief to be honest, to advertise the fact that you can't cope, then go and buy (from breeder/petshop) more, THEN say that that many is more than they can cope with AND THEN GET MORE!! It makes no sense to me at all and I can't believe that someone who knows about rescues keeps on doing this over and over again. I feel so sorry for those poor animals that get a home then get dumped again. I would love to have more and would love babies but I know that I have neither the space nor the funds at the moment. I'll stick with buying lip gloss to cheer myself up like I did today!!

Helen x

If this person is me, then why are you saying this? I have only ever rehomed 1 rabbit. The rest are loved and cared for by me. The other animals I rehomed were guinea pigs, I will never ever have another guinea pig.

If I choose to go to a petshop or breeder its my choice, and if that makes me a bad person so be it:?

maybe the go to petshops and say they 'prefer it' to cover up the fact their housing/budget/accomodation etc isnt to the requirements of a rescue anyway

maybe the go to petshops and say they 'prefer it' to cover up the fact their housing/budget/accomodation etc isnt to the requirements of a rescue anyway

I would say this is the most likely cause to be honest, I know a few people that dont go to rescues becasue they know they would be turned down - which then begs the question they know their housing is unsuitable so why consider letting an animal live in it? :?

I think it's the thrill of having something new. Everyone must admit that you get a leap of joy when they get a new pet. I think some people get too focused on that rush of newness and when it wears off want to feel it again so get another pet. Even if they couldn't cope with previous ones.

Like how the memory of pain diminishes. I think they probably tell themselves it wasn't really as bad as they remembered and then the good feeling overrides the bad.

i think its really sad and unfair that they add to the already packed rescues and expect other people to help them out because they are too impulsive.

ive bought from a pet shop, but it was a distance issue more than a homecheck one because i didnt even know you had to be homechecked when getting a bun. i would never buy from either a pet shop or a breeder now because i know of the rescues.

also when they get bailed out by someone and then stab them in the back. for example saying its temporary and then saying you cant be bothered to have them back and that the initial excuse for rehoming was actually a lie.

Deelove I totally agree!
I remember getting Boris, no he wasn't petshop or breeder but he was a baby!
That feeling was wonderful....however all animals grow up and I would much rather channel my energy into something more worthwhile than 'buying' a pet. I have fostered old, poorly buns and making a difference to their lives feels even more 'wonderful':D
Having said all this I don't think some people will ever change (that is not a dig) how they feel, and yes everyone is entitled to their own opinions and on this forum that opinion is most definitely a minority. Thats a good thing though yeah- The opinion that its a great thing to buy a baby bunny from a breeder or petshop?!:D

Exactly Wispa you learn from your mistakes, as you have done. But as you have said you will not buy from petshops again. People do not learn from their mistakes. I agree with Sarah Jane that it could be a cover up. Because pet shops do not home check. But sell pets to any Tom, Bob or Harry to make money! Grrrrrr :evil::roll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back