• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Swollen tummy...worried (UPDATE)

Lil'Miss

Young Bun
Hi,

I'm on day three of bunny-ownership, and I'm worried.
My little boy Jack seems to have a very large swollen up tummy...and his spine appears to be more boney (can feel it when I stroke him).
He wasn't like this last night, so I am worried. He is still eating hay, and drinking and hopping about, but I noticed his poops are sloppy (he had a dirty bottom this morning).

I'm really worried. I phoned Sara, and she said to get him to a vets, so I've made an appointment this evening. Is this serious? What is the matter with him.
I feel terrible, and I'm worrying so much that I've done something wrong :? :(

Fi x

Last edited:
It could be excess caecotrophs, the squishy dark 'splatty' poos that they produce for eating. This can be caused by too much protein in the diet (eg too many pellets). Or it could be diarrhoea, which would be of a more watery consistency. Can you describe it?

Jack might benefit from a probiotic supplement like Fibreplex. What do you feed him on?

Sounds like he is suffering from Bloat, im not brilliant with these things, so hopefully someone else will be able to advise. It may be due to the fact he is being fed different food to where you got him from. Buns have very sensitive tummies. Hope he will be ok.

It could be excess caecotrophs, the squishy dark 'splatty' poos that they produce for eating. This can be caused by too much protein in the diet (eg too many pellets). Or it could be diarrhoea, which would be of a more watery consistency. Can you describe it?

Jack might benefit from a probiotic supplement like Fibreplex. What do you feed him on?

Hi,
Yes I'd say it was like a diarrhoea consistancy. I haven't changed his food at all. He is being fed on burgess excell, and timothy hay.

Sara said it could be the stress of moving that's upset him. I hope he isn't poorly, I feel so awful :(

Is he still pooing?

The main treatment is a gut stimulant, painkiller etc. Is Jack nice and warm and indoors? Feel his ears - my bunnies go very cold when they are sick.

Yes he's an indoor bunny, so he's in the sitting room. He is still pooing, but it's of this sloppy consistancy (not normal round bunny poops). He appears to be warm. His tummy feels large and hard, and when I stroke him, his back back is very clear to feel.

Is he still drinking? If it's diarrhoea, he will be losing lots of fluids. Can you syringe some boiled cooled water into him?

Hmm... I actually think those piccies are a bit misleading. The piccies of the caecotrophs don't look as soft and squidgy as they do in real life. Also, they can appear like 'splats' as they are trodden on etc.

Is Jack a Baby Bunny?

If so the symptoms you describe, especially the 'swollen tummy and pointed spine' make me want to consider Coccidiosis.
The important thing for now is getting Jack to a Vet who will hopefully give hime appropriate treatment

Good luck and please keep us posted

Janex

Hi Jane, yes Jack is a baby. He's only 10 weeks old.
I've got an appointment at 5.10pm tonight with the vet. I was just wondering what to expect, and if there's anything I can do for him in the meantime. It's awful feeling so helpless.
Jack is my first bunny, and I feel like I'm letting him down already :? :(

I will keep you updated of what the vet says. I love him so much, I don't want him to get poorly, poor little boy :(

Hi Jane, yes Jack is a baby. He's only 10 weeks old.
I've got an appointment at 5.10pm tonight with the vet. I was just wondering what to expect, and if there's anything I can do for him in the meantime. It's awful feeling so helpless.
Jack is my first bunny, and I feel like I'm letting him down already :? :(

I will keep you updated of what the vet says. I love him so much, I don't want him to get poorly, poor little boy :(

I would mention Coccidiosis to the Vet if he/she doesn't.
Take a poo sample with you, the Vet may want to send it off to the Lab for analysis.
Its good that Jack is still eating

Janex

I would mention Coccidiosis to the Vet if he/she doesn't.
Take a poo sample with you, the Vet may want to send it off to the Lab for analysis.
Its good that Jack is still eating

Janex

Thanks Jane, I have written down Coccidiosis incase I forget or mispronounce it.
What is the likely treatment for this condition? I want to ensure that Jack gets the best medicine/treatment straight away.

Thanks

Thanks Jane, I have written down Coccidiosis incase I forget or mispronounce it.
What is the likely treatment for this condition? I want to ensure that Jack gets the best medicine/treatment straight away.

Thanks

Jack might not have Coccidiosis at all but in babies it should always be considered when a GI upset occurs.
Here is some info, but remember Jack may *not* have it so try not to get too upset and worried

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/health/coccidiosis.php

Janex

Back