• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe wood / treatment for dog crate shelf?

applebed

Alpha Buck
Since I've got no DIY equipment I'm looking into having a shelf made up, the problem is I don't know which woods and wood treatments are suitable! I've tried searching the forums and Googling but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Can anyone help? :?

I used exterior (sometimes called wpb grade) plywood but others have used MDF. Personally I'd avoid chipboard or waferboard.
Indoors you don't need a treatment but Cuprinol Garden Shades is a safe bet if you do want to use one.

Mike

Pets at home do a tin of wood stain for rabbit hutches maybe you could try that, its a bout 4.00 a tin and comes in 2 different colours

I used exterior grade 9mm plywood for the levels in my bunnies' mansion. But left it untreated and covered it in self adhesive lino planks and carpet to protect it.

I wouldn't use mdf as the dust and glue probably isn't very good for bunnies if they chewed on it.

Back