• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does Barney need a friend? U/D Husband says yes!

JoLB

Warren Scout
I really didn't want to get another rabbit, but I think Barney is bored. He doesn't seem like a happy rabbit (although that could be just his personality!).

Husband and I are at work all day. Barney has his cage left open 24/7 and has the hallway to run about in (which is approx 12' by 12'). He likes to sit under the clothes horse!

I have given him several toys. He has still pulled at our rug though and wrecked it!

I don't know what to do. I don't have the room (or confidence) to bond him, if we did get him a girlfriend.

Last edited:
Aw if he is alone all day he would probably like a friend, if you find a local rescue they should do the bonding for you. Having two bunnies is really no more work than one, and once you see 2 buns cuddled up together you'll know you've made the right choice. Where in the country are you?

I live in Richmond at the moment (just been looking on the ARC website!). We're planning to move soon.

Would I need another cage? Barney is very good using his litter tray, would I need another one if we had another rabbit?

Mine all share a cage and litter tray so that shouldn't be a problem, especially if he has lots of space during the day.

ARC are very near you, the ladies from ARC post on here and Bavarian Bunny fosters for them, I hear they are very sucsessful at bonding. Is you boy neutered?

Most bunnies appreciate a pal. There was a thread on here a while ago where someone thought their bunny was communicating with the other bunny who was deaf. It made me think that perhaps they aren't always silent and maybe they communicate at a higher frequency or something. It must be lonely all on his own.

Yes he is neutered, and having his second vaccination next week.

I love it when I am home on a Friday and can give him some attention!

Husband went to pets at home (sorry, we were desperate for woodshavings!) yesterday and nearly came home with another male rabbit. Thank goodness he didn't but it might mean he is coming round to the idea of another rabbit.

Another good thing about going to a rescue is you make sure you get the right sex :lol: There are several people on here who have had single buns quite happily and been amazed at the change when they have been bonded, I don't think single buns are necisarily unhappy, but the is nothing like another bunny for company.

We kept saying "no more animals", but I think I'll have to chat to husband tomorrow!

Do rabbits still like human company after they're bonded? Or do they ignore you? (I know my guinea pigs do :lol: )

Gus was my first bun and our relationship did change, he still loves attention but is not so clingy, I used to feel awful leaving him, but now I don't mind. Some buns will spend less time with humans once bonded but you could just as easily get just as much attention from two bunnies! One thing I have learnt about bunnies is there are no rules about bunny behaviour and they are all different :lol:

We kept saying "no more animals", but I think I'll have to chat to husband tomorrow!

Do rabbits still like human company after they're bonded? Or do they ignore you? (I know my guinea pigs do :lol: )

i find im getting nudged more and more each day by one or the other bun... i think they have accepted me as part of the group... lowest memeber ofcourse...i dont think they need our attention as much but i wouldnt say im ignored anymore than i was before pearl.... depends on your bun i think hun alvin always was a bit anti-human lol

Thank you. I will talk to husband and see what he says....and hopefully give ARC a call tomorrow (depends how much persuading is needed!). Either that or I give up work and stay at home with Barney!

Thank you. I will talk to husband and see what he says....and hopefully give ARC a call tomorrow (depends how much persuading is needed!). Either that or I give up work and stay at home with Barney!

ohhhhh i know which one id like to do.....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

good luck with your hubby.... a pair of buns so lovely to watch, double the poop tho :shock:

and i dont feel guilt not giving Alvin 24hours attention now :)

As long any new bun is litter trained I don't mind! Barney is so good going in his tray (in there now lol!).

I feel guilty going to bed now, and leaving him!

Will let you know how I get on!

woo going to call ARC today! Husband said "don't you dare ask me for any more animals after this" :lol:

But he agrees Barney doesn't seem very happy.

I will ask ARC if they are able to bond, because I don't have a room I could do it in (Barney goes in every room in the house) and also I'm so unconfident about doing it.

He will be much happier with a friend and you are giving a rescue bunny a home which is a bonus! I would only ever keep buns in pairs after seeing how happy mine are together. They still like to come and sit on my knee for treats :D

awww good for you getting another bunny

I know this sounds silly but I worry Thumper will love the other bunny more than me :oops: I am at home most days so he is ok (he sits at my feet when I am at my desk) but when I go back to work full time I will feel so bad for him... he is such a sweet guy I know he will love his new friend lots.... and there are so many beautiful bunnies than need good homes I feel bad no rescuing one

Keep us updated x x

Back