• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks

Dawn&Leila

Warren Scout
Hello, I haven't posted here in a long time! Hope everyone is well!

Leila's been having some problems with sore hocks. It started as a small round patch at the very back of each heal. We;'ve been to the vets and she was given a pain killer and some cream (which was meant for dogs :shock:) he told me to use a very tiny bit and not for more than a week and if she licked it then not to use it. Which was great help because Leila licks and eats everything. Literally.

It's very odd, one morning I picked her up and looked at her feet as usual and a large patch was bare. I can only think she had plucked it, but I don't understand why. Now both feet are pretty bare in places on the bottom. One has a small superficial scab which is barely raised, it was more like a redder patch at first but Leila is constantly licking it and biting at it. Especially after i've bathed it or had a look at it. She's the type of rabbit that will nibble anything sticking out or annoying her. She nibbles dried or lifted skin from my fingers all the time. She's obsessed! Every now and then stubbly fur will grow back over and I pray that she'll just leave it but she never lets it get past a certain point.

Bandages would be a last resort for me as it would be a nightmare to keep her from devouring them, but if she doesn't leave them alone they will never heal.

She's eating drinking, running around fine. One of the things I've tried to stop is the amount she jumps on and off furniture. The carpet here is pretty rough (we rent) and quite abrasive, and she loves to climb and leap from things.. So i do discourage that. She also naturally sits with her hind legs too far forward which doesn't help and puts a lot of pressure on the hocks. Her fur is very fine and soft (im almost sure she's at least half Polish) - another thing against us..:(

In her cage she has a shirt in her bed, the floor has russel rabbit fine chopped straw and the litter tray has carefresh topped with the straw again. If it was just carefresh she would eat it. She already digs it out when it's fresh and eats it. I feel like I can't put anything in her cage that isn't edible because she will eat it, and im worried it could do her harm. I think im going to have to find a softer bedding though. A large pet bed or something. But god knows what I can use in the litter tray. I've realised her water bottle leaks too so I'll buy a new one as it makes that patch of bedding underneath damp and mouldy smelling.

I really didn't want to resort to bandages as im worried she'll be quite stressed by them and obsess over them. Any ideas? Any cream that will act as an antibiotic plus help it heal that wont hurt if she licks it? Any bandaging tips? What are the best ones to use? Anything would be appreciated. I'd rather act now than wait til it's bad.

I'm willing to do anything.

Dawn & Leila

*wants her feet to look like siggy again* :cry:

i can't help personally but i know another member on here is having a serious sore hock problem at the minute and a number of forum members are helping out so i'm sure you'll get some advice soon:D i hope your bun starts to heal up soon

Hi Willow

I did indeed already come across your thread. Sorry to hear about your bun. I hope you can find a solution soon. I'm interested to see pics of what your rabbits hocks look like so I can compare the severity.

Many sites don't recommend bandaging a hock when it has 'open sores.' One of Leila's feet is purely just bare skin. The other has been bare for longer, and has short stubbly fur, but a small scap which looks pretty healthy and uninfected. No oozing, dampness or puss. she just keeps irratating the area by over licking/nibbling it. I'm doing salt water washes and I also have 99.9% pure aloe vera gel that I've been using a tiny amount of to soothe. I'm considering trying calendular cream as another website recommended it.

It all looks pretty clean to me so I'm keen to try bandages to just let them heal over without her nibbling them. I would probably change them each day to check on it and clean it.

I'm wondering if this is the best idea?

Hiya I've taken some steps tonight after reading up lots on old threads here and other internet/vetinary sites.

* I have moved the water bottle until I can get a new one to a place where the drips will not reach Leila and will be changing the wet bedding their every day.

*I have put as much straw as I had into her cage and put Leila's favourite large man-shirt over her bed and the floor of the cage.

*I've disinfected the littertray and food bowl (did floor of cage a few days ago.) Will be removing soiled litter more than once a day if needs be just so she will rarely if eevr have to sit on wet

* used a salt water solution on feet.

* Have used the Fuciderm gel (antibiotic + anti-inflamatory) on both feet until I can get neosporin and sudocream or something similar.

I will probably try the bandages with the 'corn pad' suggested so will get some bandages from ebay and use rabbit fur over the sore spot.

The fur seems to be growing back even through/on the small scab/redder area. This is a good sign but I just hope Leila will leave it alone, if she doesn't I'll have to try bandages at least until the scab is completely gone.

If I see no improvement after a week or so of getting everything & doing the routine + bandages or if there is deterioration I will be heading to a vet.
I will have to find a new one, cheaper and more rabbit savvy. Unfortunately my partner had to have emergancy dental treatment which has taken all our savings so if I don't sell enough art these next two months I may have to ask my mum for a loan which I hate doing :(

I am so getting insurance for her.... :roll:

Last edited:
Ouch :shock:

Leila's doesn't really resemble that, looks more like a pic Jan posted on another thread

I just wanted to let everyone know that Leila's hocks are completely healed now! I managed to heal them by limiting her time on carpet, using aloe vera gel and tea bags :D I'm so happy I was able to heal her without anymore stressful and and expensive trips to the vet. Luckily her case wasn't bad, but the alternative methods I used worked much better than the cream i got from the vet (for dogs) on Leila. Now I guess I better think about getting her spayed before she gets much older...If the risk is too high I'll leave it as she's a pretty calm and loving girl with people it's just carpet she attacks wees on lol.. a bit like a puppy.. It would just have to mean she will always have to have a human companion (me) instead of a bunny one. I'd much rather she had a boyfriend though.

:wave: what is the teabag thing?

I would defo get her neutered coz as well as having a boyfirend, unneutered females have a high risk of contracting some sort of uterine cancer or something.

Hi Dawn.

Two of my buns have sore hocks so I have read this thread with interest. Neither of them is bad currently and I use Sudocrem. Hoping that this will do the trick.

Out of interest, you mentioned finding a more bunny savvy vet - I notice you are in Surrey, Are you anywhere near the GU20 area?

Helen

Hi Rachel I would use teabags (I used decaf pg tips but im sure others would work) and would hold them to the bare parts of the skin and gently dab for a few minutes.Then I would hold Leila until her feet were dry, she didn't lick and them and bite at them afterwards as much as she did with the cream. I did this once or twice a day. Then I used the aloe vera gel now and then and kept her off carpet for a while. I got the idea for teabags whilst researching sore hocks on the net, somewhere it said tea bags helped make the skin tougher and thicker. I also found out tea is antiinflammatory so I expect that and the aloe made her feet comfortable enough for the hair to grow through again with out it being sore then once the patch was covered in fine hair it was a matter of a week or so before the hair was all back.

Duchess - sorry to hear about your buns, guess it wouldn't hurt to give my ideas a try, it's all natural stuff , the aloe vera i used was from a health shop and 99.9% pure aloe gel or something :)

I have a vet I heard of through a rescue center nearby in twickenham who lots of people recommend - crystabel. So if I do get her spayed which I think I will before the end of this year then I would probably like to go to her. Just incase for some reason I don't then I am near enough to guildford yeah. Would love to hear of any local rabbit savy vet you know about

Dawn

Last edited:
Back