• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

your experience with dental problems?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I saw an x ray of Sorrel's head the other day and the roots of her teeth are right up by her eyes. :shock: I was wondering if any of you have experience of bunnies with teeth like this and what the outcome was and if there's anything you'd suggest I do to minimise her discomfort or prevent it getting worse?

thanks

Don't think there's an awful lot you can do to stop it progressing. Seems to be more a case of treating symptoms, in my experience anyway.

Just keep an eye on her...check she can eat properly, and doesn't seem ill or in pain.

My Smokey has periods when her dental disease gets worse, but on the other hand, there has been periods when it's stopped progressing for long periods of time.

She's 6 years old now, and has recently started deteriorating again :(

I haven't had any experience of dental bunnies but I guess you have seen the vet about it. What does the vet suggest?

just to keep her eating lots of hay, which im doing, and keep an eye on ehr general health. just wondering if people could share tales of how it progresses as i'd like to know what i could expect in the future. poor sorrel is only 2. :(

My female bunny Miffy 18months has chronic dental disease which started August 2007, on her xrays her bottom teeth are protruding right into her jaw bone and they're all very inflammed and starting to bend. She also has gaps in her teeth which food are getting caught in causing further problems.

She's had 6 dental treatments since August stemming from 2 months apart to 3 weeks apart. We've been told the pulp on her roots has shrunk and so her teeth are growing much slower now which is a good thing for her. We've been advised to get her to eat hay (she wont) and she's prescribed NSAI Metacam twice daily reducing from 2.5mls to 1ml over a period of 3 months to reduce the inflammation in her jaw to *hopefully* get her to realise the hay wont cause her pain to eat.

When shes not in pain she's a very happy go lucky bunny, hoppin round everywhere and into everything, but she deteriorates very quickly, starts getting food stuck in her mouth and wont eat the sticks of veg's and will only chew with her front teeth. The worst scenario we had was she stopped eating and pooping, went into GI stasis had her teeth checked by 4 different vets and teeth looked ok then started bleeding a lot from the mouth, a dental spur on a tooth right at the back of her mouth had cut into her cheek severing an artery, she was ok but it took her a few weeks for her to recover and as a result the spurs had grown back and she needed her teeth burring again (on Monday). We're hopeful that she wont need anything for a while as she's not needed pain relief after this dental and is attempting to eat everything.

I really hope things work out for your bunny and that it can live a happy life even with these problems as we're deffo hoping that'll be the case with Miffy.

hugs xx

Santa, who is about 4.5 years, also has overgrown tooth roots heading towards her eyes and they have been like this for at least a year. Fortunately, she has never had stasis or problems/pain from eating, so getting her to eat hay etc is no problem at all.

Santa's manifests itself as snuffles, she has a constantly runny nose which is interspersed with bad infectious periods where she gets very bunged up and needs antibiotic courses to treat it - this flares up I'd guess around 4 times a year.

I have read that you can reduce the pressure on the tooth roots and hence the speed they progress, by ensuring that molars are burred right back to the gum line when doing a dental.

Tilly has a blocked tear duct due to overgrown tooth roots and she has been like this for over 2 years. But it doesn't seem to bother her and honestly, I've had less problems with her than with some of the other buns! (eg Humphrey has had stasis on multiple occassions, as has Oli - all tooth related according to the vet).

Tilly does need to have fairly regular dentals but there is nothing we can do about her blocked tear duct. I put drops in her eye every evening and that keeps it lubricated. Sometimes she gets a bit of white or milky discharge but it's just something she lives with. Oh, she did have an ear abcess recently but that was unrelated and it has been removed successfully :)

Interestingly, my old vet told me 2.5 years ago she 'wouldn't last long' becuase of her eye and teeth problems (needless to say I am no longer with that particular vet) - she's still with me now and has a super quality of life, she seems pretty resilient to be honest.

Helen

Back