PDA

View Full Version : What a Nightmare Evening! - U/D 13/02

Ab & Stu
07-02-2008, 03:07 PM
:cry::cry::cry:
I got home yesterday from the vets he has told me Stu has the startings of sharp teeth on the bottom and that I have two weeks to get him to eat as mush hay as possible to grind them down naturally or he has to go in to have a dental. I'm so scared for him :cry: :cry:
Then when I got back started cooking dinner and about half eight got a knock on my door and the neighbour had found a rabbit! (this will be the second rabbits that's been brought to me since Christmas) They tell me they found her sat in there garden and it bleeding. I look in the box and it looks like part of her ear has been ripped off :cry: I called my vet straight away and he told be to bathe it in cool water put her in a dark room and if it bleeds too much or she soesn't eat call him and bring her in otherwise get her to him first thing in the morning.
She had a little pen made up next to my bed (the only place my rabbits aren't aloud) and gave her some hay. Poor little baby ate like she'd never eaten before! I took this as a good sign and as she wasn't bleeding left her on her own for a while.
I took her to the vets this morning and he told me she was a she that shes probably around 15 weeks old. She a lion head lop be the looks of things.
He's taken her in and I'm calling them at 2 to see how she is. He thinks she'll be ok.
I just can't belive someone could have just left her there, her poor ear. It was horrible.
Once she's out I'm going to put up some posters to see if I can find her owners.
Please can you send lots of vibes to this little bun and to Stu for his poor teeth.

Sorry for the long post just so shocked! :cry:

Thanks Abbie x

kelzuna
07-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Poor Stu, u better get lots of nice different types of hay in stock to give him plenty to choose from;)

Poor little bunny being left like that...some people have no hearts.

Sending hugs for both buns X

Ab & Stu
07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks!!

I have ordered a sample pack of hay for him to try so hopefully he'll find one he really like. He eats his hay quite well already so hopefully one that tastes even nicer might encourage him to eat more. Fingers crossed!!

Steph
07-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Sending loads of vibes :D

elve
07-02-2008, 05:24 PM
oooh what a stressful day for you :shock: hope both bunnies will be OK!

Azraelm
07-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Aw hope both will be ok, well done to you!

norrielian
07-02-2008, 05:32 PM
What an awful evening. Vibes to both buns, keep us posted

Fairy13
07-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Sending vibes for both of the bunnies x

NickieM
07-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Sending vibes to all three of you (((((VIBES))))

Ab & Stu
07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Just to update you on the little bun I took to the vets this morning.
Once the vet started to clean up the wounds and cut away the fluffy hair he realised the extent of the damage. Her left ear has been totally skinned, it's hard to explain but before the fur was clipped away it looked like a cut he clean it up he could see that the skin was only attached at the tip of the ear. Here right ear has a deep cut across the base as well. After 1 1/2 hours of surgery she's all stiched up. He had to almoast totally reconstruct her left ear. Poor little girl.
The thing is if the skin doesn't survive, which is quite likely then they may have to amputate one or both ears :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: he is very concerned at doing this on a young bun and thinks that it may be better to PTS :cry: What are your veiws???

She is back at mine (as he thought this the best place) and tuckin into her hay again and drinking plenty too. I'm taking her back in tomorrow so she can have more pain killers.
What do I do?? Can a rabbit live with no ears?? I feel so bad she not even mine, how can i make the decision?

Any tips on how I can keep her happy please let me know.

Oh and any name suggestions?? poor little girl just has female rabbit in her card :(

Thanks you so so much for all the vibes, i'll keep you updated on both buns!

Abbie x

FriskyClover
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
On the webpage of my local rescue there is a picture of a rabbit with no ears, it looks a little funny but seems fine. I think that one is ear-less because of trauma when it was very young.

Lots of vibes

FC xx

NickieM
07-02-2008, 09:58 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgpKRmhyqMQ

I have posted a videa from Youtube from a company which sells bunny stuff and uses their own buns to advertise. They have a rabbit called Inga who has no ears. Apparently, her mother bit them off when she was a baby. It doesn't seem to have affected her. If it is a question of whether a rabbit can live without having ears, she seems to, but it could be because of the trauma and injury to her ears.

Doncat5
07-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Bailey hasnt got ears ..... check Baileydonut's siggy for a pic of him! I've seen a few earless buns and they seem to do quite well, to be honest I think some lops would actually be better off without ears!

(not sure if the link will work)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/member.php?u=7185

emilyarc
07-02-2008, 10:38 PM
We at ARC had a pair of earless bunnies - they must have been born without them or chewed of when they were young. They were an agouti pair and now are very happy in a new home! We even got pics of how they were getting on.

Fran
07-02-2008, 10:38 PM
My Bob had no ears, he had to have an op on one of them because it wasn't filtering properly & developed an infection but was given the all clear a week before he died :( 2 years since he died today :cry: xx

Ab & Stu
07-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks everyone! your always such a great help! :D
I think that if her ears do not mend then I will have them amputated, she seems so full of life even though she's poorly. I so hope the mend though, keeping everything crossed!
If she did have the op and her owners were found and they were not happy about her ears can they take legal action? I'm a bit worried they might not be happy. I have asked around but knowone seems to know were she came from.

Thanks so much for all your help

Abbie x

NickieM
08-02-2008, 12:16 AM
If the vet says that they need to be amputated because the skin has not repaired, what else could they expect you to do. Honestly, if my animal escaped (let's be charitable) and someone found him injured and took him to the vet, I would be so grateful that I wouldn't quibble.

Gem
08-02-2008, 12:35 AM
I think Lucky is quite an appropriate name

Or maybe Hope, Faith or Charity?

Keep getting better little girl :love:

How's Stu doing Abbie?

Ab & Stu
08-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks guys!

Gem - Stu's well but not happy with me as I have reduced the amout of veg and pellets he's having so he will eat more hay. Hopefully we will get the sample pack of hay so he can have lots of choice. I won't really know if he will need to go for a dental until 2 weeks time. I really hope not. I'll keep you updated!

x x

Steph
08-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Piccies of lucky please ? :D ;) Sounds an amazing bunny :D

Ab & Stu
08-02-2008, 01:45 PM
She's looking a bit worse for wear at the moment, lots of stiches :( I'll take some when I get home! She at the vets at the mo.

x x

Amy & Amber
09-02-2008, 12:20 AM
MASSIVE REIKI VIBES FOR THIS BEAUTIFUL GIRLIE.

I will lay soon crystals to the moon light tonite for her x

Doncat5
09-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Hope she gets well soon.... and I really wouldnt worry about what her previous owners may think, if she loses her ears.

Jack's-Jane
09-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Sorry to have been slow in responding to this thread. I really hope the brave little Bunny will pull through this ordeal.

Janex

Ab & Stu
09-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks everyone, it's really great knowing your all here!

She seems to be doing really well! It's still going to take a little while to know whether her ears will mend but she has such spirit. Her cage is next to my bed and when I woke this morning she was sat on top of her carrier right next to my face as if to say 'morning, wheres the food?' I've never seen a bun love hay as much as she does! When her bowls empty she throws it around as well.

I really like the name Lucky but I've already had a pet named that when I was little so I think I'm going to call her Lottie for the time being. :D

I'm off today to buy some ready Grass for Stu, Sooz says it will help with his teeth. He's still not speaking to me as he is having smaller meals in a hope it will encourage him to eat more hay! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone

Abbie x

Ab & Stu
09-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Just another quick update!

Took Lottie to vets this morning just for another check up and he is pleased with her ears. There's warmth in both of the tip and in the skin attached back on. He said that she's still not out of the woods but by Monday we should know if the op was sucessful, so I'll update you on Monday evening!

Thank you everyone fo your vibes and Amy for your Reiki! Lottie says thank you very much!!

I'll post a couple of pics of her soon!

Thanks
x x

bunny babe
09-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Only just seen this thread. Poor little bunny. I hope she continues to recover well.

Ab & Stu
11-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Right, just about to take her to the vets!! I really hope the op has worked for her! And no more ops to follow.

Wish us luck!! I'll update when i get back!!

x x

Sooz
11-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Good Luck at the vets :wave:

Gem
11-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Good luck Lottie!! :wave:

Ab & Stu
11-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Not great news I'm affraid :cry: :cry: Her left ear is becoming swollen which means that either there is a blockage in a blood vessel or that the tissue is begining to rot :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I feel so bad i've tried everything :cry: Poor little girl. Her right ear looks like it's mending and she is so happy in herself, spreading hay and newspaper everywhere. My vet has out her on Metacam 5 drops a day to see if that will reduce the swelling.
We discussed amputation of her left ear and he's not that keen to do it even though she is a happy lively little bun. I feel so sad, i know she's not mine but i really don't want to have to PTS :cry: We have to try the metacam for 5 days and go back on friday evening. Please keep sending this little one vibes for friday.

Thanks

Abbie x x

bunny babe
11-02-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm sorry it is not all good news. Do you have another vet you can take her to for a second opinion if her ear does not improve. As you say, she is lively in herself and there are others on here that survive OK with no ears.

I hope the meds work for this brave little girl. Sending her some get well vibes.

Sooz
11-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Did your vet give you a reason for being so reluctant to amputate?

Ab & Stu
11-02-2008, 11:21 PM
No he just said tha he doesn't really want to do it. I'm a bit annoyed, I would have thought he would have been more positive as her right ear is much better. He said to see how it is on Friday. I do have another vet that will give a second opinion.

Thanks Guys

x x

NickieM
11-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I think he should at least say if he isn't happy to do it, that it could be done by someone else. Why condemn the little bun to death just cos it's a difficult procedure!

Sooz
11-02-2008, 11:45 PM
I would be pretty pee'd off too. Certainly ask for a referral if he isn't comfortable with performing the procedure.

Ab & Stu
12-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Thanks guys! Part of me feels that he sees her as just a rabbit :cry: He's always been so good up until now. I think I feel even worse because I feel untrusting in my vet.
She's such a happy little bun, i've put stu's old tent in her cage so she has something to do and she's been hoppping in and out of it for hours!

It's so nice to have people like you guys to talk to sometimes I feel that everyone sees them as 'just rabbits' :cry: the guys at work have given me endless jip about the amount of money I spent on the first op that when i told them today she might have to go for another they said put her in a stew :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks for being so supportive!!

x x

Sooz
12-02-2008, 12:49 AM
I know what you mean, I had a vet like that once, I dont see him anymore :?.

My Dad was very patronising when Caspian was ill and kept suggesting to me that a rabbit wasnt worth 'wasting my money on', just as well he had no idea how much Fiver & Pippa's dentals were costing me :roll:.

If there is no health/welfare basis for him not wanting to perform the op then there is no reason you should feel guilty for taking up a second opinion.

bunny babe
12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys! Part of me feels that he sees her as just a rabbit :cry: He's always been so good up until now. I think I feel even worse because I feel untrusting in my vet.
She's such a happy little bun, i've put stu's old tent in her cage so she has something to do and she's been hoppping in and out of it for hours!

It's so nice to have people like you guys to talk to sometimes I feel that everyone sees them as 'just rabbits' :cry: the guys at work have given me endless jip about the amount of money I spent on the first op that when i told them today she might have to go for another they said put her in a stew :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks for being so supportive!!

x x

She sounds a lovely bunny. I would defo get a second opinion on her.

As for people who think they are funny saying "put it in a pot/stew" or "you can get one from the shop for 15" are not worth knowing - they think they are funny and say it to try and look good. I am lucky that most of my work colleagues know I'm nuts and they understand that I am a big softy - I know not everyone is like that.

Ab & Stu
13-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Hi

Lotties ear is still quite swollen and causing a little discomfort. I have spoken to the vet to and he has told me to up her Metacam from 5 drops to 10 drops a day. I have an appointment booked for Friday evening so I will se what he say then. I think the reason he feels that he doesn't want to do it is because she is so young but that exactly why i want to do it! She's such a happy bun.

I'm worried incase the Metacam doesn't work and as I have to wait until Friday she will go down hill and then he will say 'see she not well it best to PTS' :(

I try and ignore people but some comments make me so angry. One of my bosses came in today and said any news on the rabbit? i said that she may have to have an opperation. He said how much will that cost? when I told him he said are rabbits not like cars? If you buy them for 1000 you don't pay 2000 to do them up if they break!!! :evil: