• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What a Nightmare Evening! - U/D 13/02

Ab & Stu

Alpha Buck
:cry::cry::cry:
I got home yesterday from the vets he has told me Stu has the startings of sharp teeth on the bottom and that I have two weeks to get him to eat as mush hay as possible to grind them down naturally or he has to go in to have a dental. I'm so scared for him :cry: :cry:
Then when I got back started cooking dinner and about half eight got a knock on my door and the neighbour had found a rabbit! (this will be the second rabbits that's been brought to me since Christmas) They tell me they found her sat in there garden and it bleeding. I look in the box and it looks like part of her ear has been ripped off :cry: I called my vet straight away and he told be to bathe it in cool water put her in a dark room and if it bleeds too much or she soesn't eat call him and bring her in otherwise get her to him first thing in the morning.
She had a little pen made up next to my bed (the only place my rabbits aren't aloud) and gave her some hay. Poor little baby ate like she'd never eaten before! I took this as a good sign and as she wasn't bleeding left her on her own for a while.
I took her to the vets this morning and he told me she was a she that shes probably around 15 weeks old. She a lion head lop be the looks of things.
He's taken her in and I'm calling them at 2 to see how she is. He thinks she'll be ok.
I just can't belive someone could have just left her there, her poor ear. It was horrible.
Once she's out I'm going to put up some posters to see if I can find her owners.
Please can you send lots of vibes to this little bun and to Stu for his poor teeth.

Sorry for the long post just so shocked! :cry:

Thanks Abbie x

Last edited:
Poor Stu, u better get lots of nice different types of hay in stock to give him plenty to choose from;)

Poor little bunny being left like that...some people have no hearts.

Sending hugs for both buns X

Thanks!!

I have ordered a sample pack of hay for him to try so hopefully he'll find one he really like. He eats his hay quite well already so hopefully one that tastes even nicer might encourage him to eat more. Fingers crossed!!

Just to update you on the little bun I took to the vets this morning.
Once the vet started to clean up the wounds and cut away the fluffy hair he realised the extent of the damage. Her left ear has been totally skinned, it's hard to explain but before the fur was clipped away it looked like a cut he clean it up he could see that the skin was only attached at the tip of the ear. Here right ear has a deep cut across the base as well. After 1 1/2 hours of surgery she's all stiched up. He had to almoast totally reconstruct her left ear. Poor little girl.
The thing is if the skin doesn't survive, which is quite likely then they may have to amputate one or both ears :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: he is very concerned at doing this on a young bun and thinks that it may be better to PTS :cry: What are your veiws???

She is back at mine (as he thought this the best place) and tuckin into her hay again and drinking plenty too. I'm taking her back in tomorrow so she can have more pain killers.
What do I do?? Can a rabbit live with no ears?? I feel so bad she not even mine, how can i make the decision?

Any tips on how I can keep her happy please let me know.

Oh and any name suggestions?? poor little girl just has female rabbit in her card :(

Thanks you so so much for all the vibes, i'll keep you updated on both buns!

Abbie x

On the webpage of my local rescue there is a picture of a rabbit with no ears, it looks a little funny but seems fine. I think that one is ear-less because of trauma when it was very young.

Lots of vibes

FC xx

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgpKRmhyqMQ

I have posted a videa from Youtube from a company which sells bunny stuff and uses their own buns to advertise. They have a rabbit called Inga who has no ears. Apparently, her mother bit them off when she was a baby. It doesn't seem to have affected her. If it is a question of whether a rabbit can live without having ears, she seems to, but it could be because of the trauma and injury to her ears.

We at ARC had a pair of earless bunnies - they must have been born without them or chewed of when they were young. They were an agouti pair and now are very happy in a new home! We even got pics of how they were getting on.

My Bob had no ears, he had to have an op on one of them because it wasn't filtering properly & developed an infection but was given the all clear a week before he died :( 2 years since he died today :cry: xx

Thanks everyone! your always such a great help! :D
I think that if her ears do not mend then I will have them amputated, she seems so full of life even though she's poorly. I so hope the mend though, keeping everything crossed!
If she did have the op and her owners were found and they were not happy about her ears can they take legal action? I'm a bit worried they might not be happy. I have asked around but knowone seems to know were she came from.

Thanks so much for all your help

Abbie x

If the vet says that they need to be amputated because the skin has not repaired, what else could they expect you to do. Honestly, if my animal escaped (let's be charitable) and someone found him injured and took him to the vet, I would be so grateful that I wouldn't quibble.

I think Lucky is quite an appropriate name

Or maybe Hope, Faith or Charity?

Keep getting better little girl :love:

How's Stu doing Abbie?

Thanks guys!

Gem - Stu's well but not happy with me as I have reduced the amout of veg and pellets he's having so he will eat more hay. Hopefully we will get the sample pack of hay so he can have lots of choice. I won't really know if he will need to go for a dental until 2 weeks time. I really hope not. I'll keep you updated!

x x

Back