• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tesco tiny hutches

teasel

New Kit
Hi everyone, I am a member of the RWA and have just had a message from them to say that by complaining to Tesco we have succeeded in getting Tesco Head Office to take off sale the so-called "Value" hutches. Together we can make the difference! Thanks to any one who gave support to this campaign.:wave:

Hi
I saw them for sale in my Tesco for £20 also. Looked as tho they were just trying to get them shifted. I was so shocked at the size of it - ive got bigger handbags!! I was upset when I seen how wide the wire was on the floor of the hutch - how could they expect any animal to walk over that all day - it would be like us having to permanently walk over a cattle grid.

Anyway, I rang RSPCA headquarters and they said that they had received numerous complaints and were in talks with Tesco over product and the fact that it contravened Animal Welfare Act and that they were misleading consumers into thinking this hutch was perfectly fine for a rabbit. Tesco said they were pulling product and would be investigating internally.

The lady at the RSPCA said I was welcome to ring again this week to find out the outcome. So I will do this in next couple of days and let you know what she says.

There arent any in my local Tesco now and I just hope thats because they took them off sale rather than them flying out the door at £20!

Shame on them.

That is fabulous news. I sent an email, but never got a response although I know other folk did. I reckon they much have been inundated. I complained in my store too, so hopefully all this filtered back. I am glad to see the RSPCA getting involved as they are supposed to be the legislative body for animal welfare. Brilliant what people power can do. Have they taken off the pathetically tiny rabbit cage too?

I work in a Tesco store that's been selling them. I've refused to put them through my checkout. I've been doing my bit from the inside :D

I finally had my reply from Tesco this morning!

"

I am sorry for the delay in responding to your concerns over the Tesco Value Rabbit Hutch that we have been selling.

We have reviewed the range and taken one item off sale. For the remaining items we have added extra information to our website as to the intended use of the products in question.

Going forward we are planning on working with appropriate experts in the area for any new pet accessories product development, and to allow us to give the customer more animal care information with their purchase. This is to ensure that the customer has the relevant information that should prevent them from contravening the animal welfare act.

Once again, I would like to apologise that we have given you cause for concern and thank you for taking the time to bring your comments to our attention.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES4639185X."

better late than never!

And here's the reply to my question about what do they intent to do with the stock.

Thank you for your patience while I have been awaiting the information you requested.

I can advise that we will be returning the stock of rabbit hutches to the supplier. As they are Supplier Branded and not our own brand, the stock is the property of the supplier and we do not have control over what they then chooses to do with them.

I would like to reassure you that our Senior Buyer has discussed the specifications of the product at length with our Suppliers. They have made it very clear to our Suppliers that we have withdrawn the item from sale as the dimensions are small and the product is not fit for purpose.

Thank you for your comments and I do hope that we've gone some way to assuring you of our commitment to animal welfare.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES4694203X.

Kind Regards

If they say they are taking them 'off sale' why are they now selling them for half price £20?:evil:

Exactly, I think many of us have seen them at £20 definately Tesco at Sunbury X have been selling them at this price in the last couple of weeks. If they were selling them at £40 it makes me wonder how much they actually cost Tesco to buy.

Exactly, I think many of us have seen them at £20 definately Tesco at Sunbury X have been selling them at this price in the last couple of weeks. If they were selling them at £40 it makes me wonder how much they actually cost Tesco to buy.

I doubt more than pence its so tiny :cry:

Back