• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should i get another bun? Im scared!

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Dear Liquorice passed away on saturday night and has left me and my fiance heartbroken and lonely.

I wouldnt dream of getting a bunny so soon as its far too early and the pain is too raw BUT....

I went to see the rabbits at pets@home today and they filled me with such happiness!!!!!

I would love another bunny (or two a bonded pair) but i am so scared they will go quickly and suddenly like Liquorice (ill and passed away within a day). I couldnt take it! Buns are such fragile and complex creatures and its not always easy to see what is wrong with them.

Has anyone else gone through this? Im feeling so confused.

oh no poor Liquorice - I've only just done a search after reading this thread to find out what happened to him :cry: My first bunny Pepsi died exactly the same way - I'd only had him 4 months so I force fed him on the vets advice, and he died of bloat - I only give water now when they have tummy problems, for that reason - it was totally devastating to lose him and I know how you feel.

My reaction was 'I'm a failure' :cry: But then someone said to me, with all the animals in rescue, if I could make room for one then all they really want is good food and a loving home....So a week later I adopted the 5 girls - figured there was safety in numbers as they couldn't possibly ALL die at once :?

It mended my broken heart and put a smile on my face again - and it made me feel that Pepsi hadn't died for nothing, as they would have been stuck in rescue for ages if I hadn't taken them in - so that helped me feel better about losing him so suddenly too.

awwww hun xxxxxxxxxxx

i totally understand why your scared, i dont think its just bunnies that break your heart tho, yes they are delicate so you treasure each day and hope its not the last.... but any pet you take into your heart can die suddenly but filling the hole with another pet can work wonders for grief.

we expected george to go for mant more years than he did, but within a week he was gone and that pain is almost as bad as losing a parent! im not looking forward to the time i say goodbye to any of my pets but i know i will outlive all of them (well im pretty sure)... give yourself time to grieve hun then see how you feel xxx

Bunnies are such fragile and complex creatures and as many of us know, they can be lost in an instant, but the pleasure they give is immense and theres nothing quite like bunny love.

When I lost Dazy my 9yr old girl to uterine cancer, around 18mths ago, I was totally gutted, but looking out the window at the empty hutch was awful, I call it 'empty hutch syndrome' and I found it unbearable. Though I said I'd never have another, I had to go and get another rescue bunny within 2 weeks, which eventually led me to fostering and changed my life really...... Dazy could never be replaced, but the bunny shaped whole in my heart was filled.

I would definately consider adopting another Bun/Buns. What better way to honour the memory of Liquorice than to offer a loving home to Rabbits that need one.

If you adopted a bonded pair then the Buns would have each other for company when you and your O/H are out. There are so many Bunnies just waiting for a loving home and although we all know that taking on more little lives opens us up to the risk of more heartbreak I truely believe that the pain of losing a much loved Bunny is a price well worth paying for all the joy that Bunny brings in their lifetime, even if that lifetime is a short one

Janex

Aw sweetheart, I was wondering how you were.

I can understand how scared you must be after losing Liquorice at such a young age, of having the same thing happen again. I lost two cats at 9 months and 18 months and it is devastating to lose them so young. Sadly sometimes a long life for a beloved pet is just not meant to be, despite our best efforts.

All I can say is that I think you are a fantastic bunny mum and there are so many bunnies looking for homes that I am sure there is a bunny out there waiting for you. Take your time and when you are ready you will find the right one or maybe the right one will find you.

It is so hard to lose them but being able to give a bunny a loving home, even for a short time, is so rewarding that in time the memories and your wonderful photos will help ease the pain.

With love to you and your fiance,
Vanessa xx

It is so sad when we lose a much loved pet...but I would say do take on another as you obviously have so much to give.

When you are ready a pair would be a good idea as the ones in rescues are usually there longer than the single bunsters.

You'll know when the time is right x

I agree with Jill. You can give another bunny a happy life and should do so! The day Molly died I discovered Rabbit Rehome and this forum and 2 weeks later we adopted Ant. He wasn't and never will be a replacement for Molly but we wanted Hoops to have a friend and knew that we could help a rescue bun. We never know how long we will have with our pets but we always reassure ourselves with the knowledge that we have given them the love and care that they deserve. x

OMG:shock: I didnt know, Im so sorry.:(

Perhaps give it a little more time maybe and then visit a local rescue and just see what buns they have there. You never know, one (or two) might just steal your heart;)

I always say I will not let one of my animals die in vain and would offer a home to another needy bunny in their stead. When Caspian died we took on Lexie & Maverick however I have to say I took Lexie on far too soon and there was a fair bit of resentment for a couple of weeks because she wasn't 'measuring up'.

I was too busy looking for Caspian in her to appreciate the wonderful bunny she actually was. However I would not be with out her now, she is his polar opposite but I am besotted with her.

When Pippa died I was not going to take on another rabbit already having taken on two in a short time. However when Cassius appeared it seemed like, I dont know, a sign or something, and once again I opened up my heart for a new bunny friend.

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Irving Townsend.

I'm so sorry I didn't know he had gone :cry: Sending lots of hugs your way... Take your time hun, I know it must hurt so much :cry: There is nothing to feel bad about even if you went to a rescue tomorrow to get another bun/s though. It was Liquorice's time and he's now having fun at the bridge - he wouldn't want you to be sad.

I think we all have our time and we will never know how long that is, or how long the people or animals in our life have, we can only be thankful for the time we have with them. Take care x

Our Sharmi died the week before we moved house. We moved and got settled and then replaced her with 2 buns! We've been happy every since :)

Thank you for all of your lovely replies.

Losing him has just been so hard. The house is empty, his many, many things that were everywehere are no longer there, his little paws tapping over the laminate as he ran, his mischeivious hour of causing trouble very night around 8pm, his little spot on the rug is no longer slept in and hundreds of other things that would take me days to list!

He has left such a huge whole in our hearts....we have lost a third of our family. we dont have any kids yet and he was like our little boy. Our days revolved around him. WE never went out much because we didnt want to - we wanted to spend time with Liqey, we never went to bed early becasue that would mean him going to bed early, we loved weekends in the house even though he spent most of the day sleeping.

I just miss him so much! I think he is still here though.....strange things have been happening since saturday. The radio in the conservatory (Liqey's room) keeps coming on by itself it has never done that before saturday, the compueter was playing up and the screen kept going black for no reason and then it was fine yesterday!

Here are some of my fave photos of him....

13012008275.jpg
His chair!!!!

17112007192.jpg
His sleeping spot on the rug XXXX

20012008280.jpg
Such a handsome lad (taken Sunday before he passed)

Image064.jpg
mmm apple...yes please!!!

DSC00250.jpg
My towel....keep off!

13-07-07_1653.jpg
How cute!!!!!! We love you Little Baby Liquorice XXXX

:shock: I'm sorry I didn't know :cry::cry:

I'm so sorry :(

I'd get a bonded pair its so wonderful to see a happy couple together..I'd go to a rescue as these are the buns that are desperate for someone like you to give them a wonderful home.

awww they're such lovely photos - you must be heartbroken :cry: even I was like 'oh no - not Liquorice!' - I seem to have been reading about him for ages and I always had a soft spot for him. Spooky about the radio and computer though - I'm sure he didn't want to leave this soon as he was so loved :(

Back