• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Starsky not drinking much??

Kibbles

Mama Doe
Well, I cleaned out Starsky's hutch on Friday and haven't filled his water since, because I like to monitor how much he drinks. Well, it's not gone down much; I filled it all the way to the top when I first put it in and now it's gone down about... 4, 5 inches maybe? Is this normal and I'm just overreacting or should I be concerned? I think I'm probably just overreacting, because as I posted this I realized more and more that it's likely not to be an issue, because he's not got any symptoms of anything and he's not a big drinker anyway. Just want to hear your thoughts. :oops:

You should change his water everyday, maybe thats why he isnt drinking.... Maybe he wants fresh water...

Mine have got 4 water bottles that get changed every day :D:D

Okay, thanks. I'm sure his bottle isn't blocked; the reason I didn't replace his water is because I'm always paranoid about him not drinking without me knowing. :oops:

Okay, thanks. I'm sure his bottle isn't blocked; the reason I didn't replace his water is because I'm always paranoid about him not drinking without me knowing. :oops:

Fill it to the top everyday, then you can see if its gone down at all before you fill it again.

they drink more out of a dish, and mine like a splash of boiling from the kettle in with the cold at this time of year, so I do that morning and evening - in fact they seem to like it quite warm :shock: But Benny's not much of a drinker even so - he only has about 100ml a day, whereas Maa just loves a good long drink in the morning - bit like me with a cuppa :lol:

Edgar and Jerry (although Jerry doesn't drink very much, it is mainly Edgar) can get through a whole 1.1 litre bottle every day!

I was really worried when I first got him, but was told by his previous owner that he has always drank alot, and my vet says that he is healthy.

Maybe it is just that some rabbits drink more than others, but it still does seem like alot of water for 1 bunny to drink, even if he is a big rabbit.:?

Back