• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cookie is booked in for a spay

susiemae

Mama Doe
Well as I title says Ive decided to get Cookie spayed.

For those that dont know, I rescued Cookie last week and the little minx managed to get herself through what I thought were more than sufficient barriers to keep her away from Domino and there was some humping involved. Although Domino had been neutered for two and half weeks by then, on taking my vets advice and weighing up the risks of surgery/prospective litter, Ive decided to have her spayed.

Cookie is the first female rabbit Ive had and Im aware that there are more risks involved in spaying a female and even more so because she is still young, shes about 16 weeks.

I been told that the chances of her coming through the operation could be as low as 50/50 - I must say Im not happy about those odds if this is true. Has anyone had a female spayed this young, what was the outcome etc.

There are risks with GAs on buns but I'm sure 50/50 chance is not correct otherwise many rescues would choose not to spay. My 3 females have all been spayed.

I'm sure everything will go well.

I have never been given odds as low as 50/50 on rabbits with heart defects, lung damage and unformed reproductive organs so I really think thats an exceptionally pessimistic view to be taking (coming for a pessimist!).

Rescues often have females speyed once they have reached 1kg in weight, that can be between 4 and 5 months.

I think if s/he is a competant vet and Cookie weighs over a kilo then I'd like to say the odds are in your favour - although I'm not a vet of course! I really hope it goes well for her xx

Spaying

Your rabbit can be spayed from around 6 months old.

This is from the rabbit care section on this site. Seems very young but I'm no expert I'm afraid!

I had my wild bunny spayed last week she's nine months old but the worry was how small she was. She's thankfully recovering well :D

I have to say that if a vet told me that was the rate I would not go ahead.

Not because that IS the rate but because the vet obviously has not got that much experience of doing that kind of thing of that is what they judge the outcome likely to be.

Can you not get to a VERY experienced spayer???

I made the awful mistake of letting a vet who was not as experienced as my 'usual' castrate my little rescue Snowdrop when he was tiny - he died. They thought it was 'heart problems' but to be honest I always get the impression when it is mentioned at my vets that with the other incredibly quick and experienced vet things might have been different.

The quicker its done the less time with GA the better.

PS I should add that the very experienced vet has never lost one - apart from 'last chance' ops. So 50/50 would seem to me appalling odds to offer.

Im beginning to think I must have misunderstood tbh. I wonder whether she meant theres a 50/50 chance Cookie could be pregnant!

The vet that deals with all small furries at the practice I use is very experienced.

Back