• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

very unhappy news

Jennie Wright

Warren Scout
Would like some advice please. One of my bonded rabbits is being put to sleep this pm due to liver failure - I could cry so much. According to vet, I did all I could and so did they and its not contagious just a bad gene and unfortunate. I now will have a very unhappy boy ( they were so in love), when do people think I should try and find him a girl, soon, immediately or leave him for a bit. He does look sad though as she has been at the vets since Mon so he has been alone.

Any thoughts would be so much appreciated.

Thanks

Oh Hun!
I know exactly what you are feeling...a few weeks ago i had to have my special boy PTS, which left my other bunny alone.
I adopted another bunny for her within 2 weeks as i couldn't bear to see her so alone..she is so sociable. She took to the *new* bunny immediatley as i knew she would!
Unfortunatley, she has to go away for treatment as she is a very poorly bunny., so new bunny will be alone!
...hopefuly not for long though.

Wish you all the best...i really feel for you.
nose rubs to your bunnies....and a big hug to the poorly one
bums im crying now!
xx

Im really sorry to hear your news :cry:

When Bobby lost Pippa to liver failure she went of her own accord in the night and we found him with her body in the morning. He knew she had gone but still searchd for her for the next 3 days.

I was originally planning to leave it a few weeks before repairing him but he looked so depressed so I intriduced him to Scout less than a fortnight later and it was love at first sight.

There does not seem to be a set tim for a rabbit to grieve, much like people, but when you are ready Im sure he will be.

I'm so sorry to hear about your problem.

I think I'm now of the opinion that sooner is better. I introduced Inky to Smokey about 4 days after he lost Floss (they hadn't been together long but really loved eachother). It was complete love at first sight.

Back