• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stuck in moult

Missy

Warren Scout
Hi

Millie seems to have been in moult for ages, I'd say it's more or less since I got her in August is there anything I can do besides brushing to help it along?

She's been stuck with the big tide lines since early December :p:?

Is she a house bun!

Our bun seems to be in a moult all the time, just worse at sometimes when going through proper moults! She doesn't like brushing unless it's with a brush that does not brush! Got her the other day though while she was eating her 3rd handful of hay! We usually get a damp flannel and wipe her down when in her main moult! Had to cut some hair off her jew lap the other day aswell cos we discovered why she keeps licking it! There was a bit of fibreplex there from before xmas when she was in GI Stasis. Shame she didn't like to lick it when we had to try get it into her!:roll:

alvins pretty bad at the moment too... this seems to be the 2nd quite big one since we got him... ralph is getting patchy too.. is this the summer coats coming already....lololol

Hi

Yes she is a house bun.
I've been using a rubber type cat brush (they have a special name that I can't think of at the minute) she loves me using it on her and it brings loads of fur out but just seems never ending :(

Aww bless her, it's quite sticky isn't it must be like chewing gum in her fur.

Donna I was wondering if it could be the Summer moult already :shock: I suppose it's been mild really for most of the Winter.

The kitchen floor is black and I have balls of fur rolling like tumbleweed along it, as soon as I hoover it it's there again, I'm not getting obsessed with it though ( well not much) :lol::lol:

Bunnie is a house bun too! We often sitting there a a bundle of hair drifts by! have to close my mouth and cover any food or drink as I have asthma and any hair getting in my mouth near back of throat triggers a massive attack! Bunnies moult at the moment is not that bad! Looks funny when she got tuffs of hair poking out on face! it's so hard not to pee her off by picking at hair that's coming out , could do it for hours if she didn't run off to her F*** off corner and turn her back on us!

lol ive already posted about trying to brush alvin.. i locked us both in the kitchen and he was not amused... he even jumped as high as the handle on the door at one point... as i grumbled to ste after failing if he gets blocked up and dies its his fault for not helping... he then actually grabbed hold of the little demon and gave him a good combing thro the biting kicking and scratching, he got enough out so i can sleep tonight

same again tomorrow most probably :roll:

My Dill hated his tufts being pulled out he'd foot flick and give me a look of disgust.
You could try wetting your hands then rubbing them through the buns fur when your giving them a snuggle that gets loads of fur out without stressing them too much.
I hate it when I get fur on my lips, especially if I've got lip balm on :lol:

These 2 don't mind being combed they just sit on the floor and let me get on with it, Jack even pushes his head under the brush so it rubs his nose :)
Just wondered if I could feed them something like maybe sunflower seeds or something to quicken it up.

Remembered the name now it's a Zoom Groom :)
The rubber is gentle so feels like your stroking them

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=32&pf_id=0210

I'll keep a look out for that brush then! We mainly use damp flannel or O/H licks his hands then wipes her down!

Same with Bunnie, although most times she dives for under the table on the ledge bit of it where it hard to get at her! She was so happy the other day that she evaded us that she binkied under there and smaked her back on the underside! :roll: btw she wasn't hurt just looked a bit like she knew she'd been a stupid bun!

what i dont understand is, he goes in a huge strop with me, but ste held him and went at him with a comb, did he sulk Nooooooooo he just lay down right infront of him......

Aww can't believe your bunnies won't give you snuggles :shock: don't they know it's part of the deal :)
My Kaysi wasn't into fusses until I gave her raisins :lol:

Millie starts nipping us if she's been ignored for too long she pulls at my jeans for attention & sits on my feet when I'm doing veg.
Jack loves his nose being rubbed :)

Millie does do the binky thing though (like Bunnie) if I'm trying to get her to go out of the room.

Bunnie loves cuddles, kisses and nose rubs! Lay there for hours sometimes and even fell asleep together once on the floor, until Bunnie woke up and took interest in my hair at which point other half had to wake me up before she scalped me! Bunnie does not do brushing with a decent brush or being picked up unless at vets when she can't get enough of it because it better in our arms than on vets table!

alvin is as anti human as it gets, when it suits him.... doesnt stop him coming begging in the kitchen or buzzing me when he wants his veg... but should i attempt the first move its :censored: you...

pearl on the otherhand is a dream come true.... she just freezes and i could fuss her for hours, but her moulting so far is nothink to what the fluffy demon is losing so she doenst even need a brushing :roll::roll:

Alvin sounds like such a character!:lol:

i adore him :love:

i know hes not scared cus nothink bothers him, hes just mean and knows how to break my heart lololololol

even poor lou at hopper haven will probably never get over meeting him :oops:

my bunny loves her cheeks rubbed with my hand over her head and has never been bothered by me brushing her, guess im just lucky.

will definitely try the wet flannel

Back