• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how old?

I dont' think there is any reason older buns can't be spayed as long as there are in good health, where did you get 4 years from lionheadluver? :?

Exactly, I'm sure loads of people would say the same. sometimes it's best not to give advice if you don't have any experience of the topic?

There is no 'set age', I mean a rescue on here spayed 8 or 9 year old does, and both were fine.:?

something tells me I wont get much work done at school the day they go in :shock:

do i need to do the same thing as neutering? indoors for a while, no loose bedding or hay on the floor. take food to the vets with them etc?

I said "personally", I didn't say "you can't put a rabbit over the age of 4 under anaestic". I just wouldn't be happy to put a rabbit over 4 years under GA. But that's just me. There's no scentific evidence that it's any worse. And anyway, shouldn't there be a range of opinions on a topic even if you don't know that topic well? So, in your opinion, only "experts" are allowed a say in topics. So there will only be a few people on this site then if that's your opinion.

Last edited:
Not if you just pulled a number out of your hear with no reason :roll: you could put people off getting a bun spayed for no good reason. I don't mean to be harsh but if you don't know the answer to something why try to answer?

something tells me I wont get much work done at school the day they go in :shock:

do i need to do the same thing as neutering? indoors for a while, no loose bedding or hay on the floor. take food to the vets with them etc?

I will let someone else answer and my girls were spayed while at the rescue, but sounds about right :D

Isn't everyone entitled to an opinion on this forum? If anyone gets the slightest thing wrong, everyone jumps on them. I mean, give people a break. I'm thinking about leaving this forum. There are way too many people who are ready for a fight on this forum. I'm sick of it. And read my post, I said, PERSONALLY, not SCENTFICALLY. God!!!

There is a difference between having an opinion and giving advice? Don't throw your toys out of the pram I am just saying, when it comes to giving advice if you don't know don't just make up an answer :roll:

Yeah, when Tilly was spayed I kept her in a dog crate on vet bed for 2 nights & she had some food taken with her to the vets :)

My vet said it depends on the rabbits health. Each case is individual.

I think if your rabbit gets examined and gets the go ahead then anything that will potentially increase their lifespan can only be a good thing. If your rabbit should get uterine cancer you'll only end up getting an emergency spay done later on anyway so why wait till the animal is ill. That is just my opnion. ;)

I would definately neuter all females up to the age of 6, after that depends on whether they have any medical or physical conditions which could complicate things. Then with discussion of our experienced vet we would descide on the appropriate action.

My vet said it depends on the rabbits health. Each case is individual.

I think if your rabbit gets examined and gets the go ahead then anything that will potentially increase their lifespan can only be a good thing. If your should rabbit gets uterine cancer you'll only end up getting an emergency spay done later on anyway so why wait till the animal is ill. That is just my opnion. ;)

Very valid point,

Back