• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch or shed

What should I house the buns in when they move outside?

• Shed with attached run

Votes: 25 92.6%
  • Happy hutch 6ft combo

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Other, please state in thread

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheGaffer

Mama Doe
Please help me decide whether to get sheds or happy hutch/run combos for my buns.

They have all got to go outside this spring because the baby needs the spare bedroom.

I'm a bit upset that they've got to go outside but They have to move out of the spare room and they're all too destructive to have any of them live downstairs.

ETA: Space isn't an issue I've got a huge garden. My buns are varying sizes, 1 pair are very small, 1 pair has a french lop cross in, and the 3rd pair are medium to large buns

Last edited:
I love sheds :D You can do so much with them adding tubes and shelves with a catflap to a run and they will be in bunny heaven!

Shed! I hate cleaning out the hutch and would love to be able to just clean a shed out whilst being sheltered from the rain and wind. No room in the tiny garden tho:(

Shed - can't say I'm keen on hutches (especially as in the wild rabbits would have nice deep snug hutches, not be exposed to all the elements 24/7)

I used to have a hutch run combo (very similar to Happy Hutch one). Then a few months ago I changed to a shed! I am so very happy with my shed and in my opinion looks really smart in the garden. I think Barley likes it better also (although difficult to assess!). I did 99% of the work converting the shed myself and I'm proud of my work :oops:

I'm sure there are other good options as well - e.g. dog kennel and run, or avery style (although both more costly), but I've no experience of these so I voted shed.

Hannah (& Barley)

Shed! I hate cleaning out the hutch and would love to be able to just clean a shed out whilst being sheltered from the rain and wind. No room in the tiny garden tho:(

Thats a good point about cleaning out.

I'm hoping to have runs attached accessed via a catflap or something. The only thing is I'd need to be able to lock it when cleaning out Billy and Emily because Billy still thinks my arm is a tree branch, so I'd have to lock them outside. :lol:

I'd definately go for the shed with a run attached. We moved our boys fron a hutch into a shed in October and it has been great. Obviously it's lots of space for the buns but for me the real advantage is that I am dry when I am cleaning them out! I can also sit in there and talk to them, I have a step for the buns and it makes a really good seat for me. It means they come up to me for a stroke whereas when they were in the hutch they would just try and escape! I also have all the food, bedding, litter etc in boxes in their shed so everything is to hand.

One thing I would say is that they never use things as you might hope. I was worried they would get cold so I spent quite a bit of money getting a freind who is a carpenter to make an indoor hutch for the shed (no felt on the roof, flat roof, hole in front door and steps up. All they use it for is a toilet! They sleep under it! :roll:

I used to have a hutch run combo (very similar to Happy Hutch one). Then a few months ago I changed to a shed! I am so very happy with my shed and in my opinion looks really smart in the garden. I think Barley likes it better also (although difficult to assess!). I did 99% of the work converting the shed myself and I'm proud of my work :oops:

I'm sure there are other good options as well - e.g. dog kennel and run, or avery style (although both more costly), but I've no experience of these so I voted shed.

Hannah (& Barley)

I agree about sheds looking better. We plan to sell this house next year and I wouldn't want to put people off

When I used to live at my nanas, my bus live in a shed with a run attached..........we also added an extra door made of fox proof mesh on the inside so that the shed door could be left open during the summer days when they weren't in the garden.

Two of my bunnies are in a shed with an attached run and the other two are in a dog kennel with run.
I get to spend time with them even if the weather is bad:D

I'm hoping to have runs attached accessed via a catflap or something. The only thing is I'd need to be able to lock it when cleaning out Billy and Emily because Billy still thinks my arm is a tree branch, so I'd have to lock them outside. :lol:

I bought a cat flap but I couldn't work out how to fit it as the shed walls are so much thinner than the door it was intended for. Perhaps it was just me but the screws were way too long - I took it back! And made this instead :D

10.jpg

Hannah

in december i went from double decker hutch with run, to a shed, and i much prefer the shed!

i think teh buns do too a sthey have alot more space to runa round in (and recent weigh ins show tehy have lost weight f rom the extra exercise!!!!!)

i also love how easy teh shed is to clean out, w ejust take the bottom of teh dog crate out, spray it down witha hose, and then brush up the hey etc, (ok i confess: i hoover it out too a smy shed has electric :oops:) best bit sio i sty dry whilst doing it!!!!

i wouldnt go back toa hutch if you paid me....

We have both a Shed and a 6ft Hutch&Run Combo, the shed is far the best, as i dont have to worry about them in the wind and rain. like im currently doing with the Hutch.

If our rabbits had stayed as a Bonding 3some we would only have a shed. but we are planning to get new sheds in the summer for all the buns....

Another vote here for sheds!
I have two sheds and a wendy house, but recently have taken in foster buns in a combo hutch, and I hate the hutch!
Such a pain to clean, and no room to do anything in!

(I hate the wendy house too as its too low - changing to a shed in the spring)

I personally hate my play houses and have my old hutches back anyday! But that's only because my rabbits love outside and with the sheds there is hardly any run, it's more indoor space and TBH theys eemed hbappier with massive runs and a small hutch for shelter :)

but i suppose a shed with a decent sized run is good :)

I have a hutch and sepearte run but would love a shed. The hutch is ok but I'd love them to have as much space as poss. Voted for shed.

Back