• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argos Rabbit hutches. Please help

Kay

Mama Doe
Just wondering what you all thought about the tiny hutches now available in the argos catalogue? Can we do something similar to the Tesco hutch campaigne?

It really annoys me that these big companies don't care at all about animal welfare!

Last edited:
How can something be suitable for 2-3 rabbits or guinea pigs? It's not like they even come in the same sizes is it? How stupid.

I complained a while ago to argos and below is the repsonse i got :censored:

But maybe if loads of people wrote they would listen like Tesco's did.

I can advise that we do take these matters seriously and have ourselves viewed the legislation made in the animal welfare act provided by the RSPCA. We advertise these hutches at the size they are only as a guideline, as it does depend on the requirements of the rabbit's themselves, which we hope any customers interested in these products, will consider prior to purchasing them.

Perhaps when writing to them it would be good to include the fact that Tesco responded to complaints by withdrawing the product, and that given the latter's wide range you'll be considering taking your custom to them if Argos are unwilling to follow their example and listen to customer concerns? Nothing to spur on a company mucm more than potential loss of profits!

I have modified the letter I sent to Tesco and sent it to Argos. I will let you know if I receive a reply.

Would you mind if forum rules permit letting me know who you wrote to so I can do the same?

Its disgusting the way people think of rabbits as nothing more than cuddly toys! I can just imagine the freeads in a few months time! Free to good home rabbit with hutch (from Argos), children now bored! or something like that.

It really upsets me so much that I wanna cry about it.

That "run" (if you can call it that!!) is disgusting. I wouldn't put a rat in it to run around in, let alone, TWO-THREE RABBITS!!! I mean, what are they thinking. :censored:

Just had a very quick reply from Argos which is surprising as I only contacted them earlier tonight, this is what they say

I am very sorry to hear your comments regarding the above product. After checking the item, I believe it was designed for house rabbits who would only spend a short amount of time in there. I have passed your comments to our marketing department, who will look into this matter further. Thank you for bring this to our attention.

I have also written to them, I will let you know their response when it arrives.

Please though everyone write to them, it doesn't take long but the more uncomfortable we make them feel the better.

Just think this weekend the nice weather I bet there will be people going to Argos to get a tiny hutch and run and then straight off to pets@home or similar and before you know it there will be more rabbits coming into rescues.

xx

Nthing so far! just this response:

Dear Ms Lewin,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your complaint.

I need a little more information. Please can you let me have the catalogue number and I will be happy to assist you further.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0870 600 2020.

Regards,

Chaudry Shaheer
Argos Direct E-Commerce Customer Service Team.

Just had a very quick reply from Argos which is surprising as I only contacted them earlier tonight, this is what they say

I am very sorry to hear your comments regarding the above product. After checking the item, I believe it was designed for house rabbits who would only spend a short amount of time in there. I have passed your comments to our marketing department, who will look into this matter further. Thank you for bring this to our attention.

I rewrote to Argos regarding using these for house rabbits and this is what has been said.
Thank you for your recent e-mails about certain items that we are selling. I can assure you that we are only able to sell items that have been legally inspected and are fit for purpose. The previous advisor has forwarded on your details and will look into this matter for you. I do find it rare that somebody cares enough for animals to be concerned about items being sold on the highstreet and commend you in doing so.

Hopefully they will reconsider selling these, I may post them a picture of a dog crate decked out for use for rabbits, they already sell them so hopefully they may consider promoting these for use with buns.

Brilliant, definately need to keep plugging at them.

I sent a reply back saying that every item number concerning rabbits welfare was a problem and listed them all. I sent them all the recommended size guidelines and told them they are contributing to a huge problem just for quick money. I told them about the 33,000 rabbits in rescue and that by keeping rabbits in such poor sized hutches they are directly responsible for the behaviour problems that will undoubtidly be caused by cooping these wonderful creatures up like this.

I also told them that unless something happens I will cancel my card with them and I will tell everyone I know not to go there. I added that with the impending credit crunch that this wouldn't be in their favour. Its not a threat its a fact. I will tell every that will listen and I know my family will and extended family. My brother was about to buy a Playstation 3 from them but is waiting to see what they write back to me, if its bad then he is going elsewhere.

Its about time people stopped treating rabbits as a second rate pet to Cats and Dogs. I also sent them links of decent hutches and said that if they have to get into this market then why not do it right in the first place. Win win situation.

We'll see, I have enough saved to cover my card with them and I will cancel it if they don't stop.

I have just had another letter as I replied to Argos about the last reply that they sent me, this is their reply:

Dear Ms XXXXXX,

Subject: Catalogue number 035/2181.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the above item.

This is the response we have received from the supplier with regards to the
starter kit.

As this is a starter kit, it is designed for a smaller / younger rabbit
whilst they are growing up, giving the owner the ability to keep a watch on
the rabbit whilst it develops and ensure its safety away from predators,
such as foxes, etc. Once the rabbit grows, then if it is a smaller breed
then the hutch will remain suitable, however if it is a larger breed of
rabbit then a larger hutch would be required.

The internal height of our cage is very similar or greater to those of the
other cages / hutches that are being marketed both by Argos (products 12,
13, 14 and 16) and from other retailers/ manufacturers. The length of the
cage is shorter than OUTDOOR hutches as this product is designed for indoor
usage or for people living in a flat or with no garden. In many of these
situations the rabbits are let out indoors for exercise or if they have a
garden are exercised either in a secure playpen OR on a rabbit harness and
lead.

I hope this helps in clearing up any questions regarding suitability of this
product.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact
us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0870 600 2020.

I am do not feel that this clears up any questions regarding suitability of a cage which is 86 cm wide.

I know the RWA have written to Argos about these products as well. They really are very poor!

Janice - what email address have you written to? I have complained to Argos about stuff before and have only ever been referred to my local branch, so I'd be interested to know where you've been sending stuff?

It's a pretty lame answer there - people will assume that 'starter kit' means 'everything you need for your new rabbit', not 'everything you will need until it grows up a bit'. It's certainly not suitable for a small rabbit in any case!

Last edited:
Back