• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit nutrition-ingredients

becca114

Young Bun
Id like to learn more about rabbit nutrition. Ive noticed on rabbit foods it never says what ingredients are in it, Does anyone know what might be the main ingredients in the average pellet?

Also my rabbits diet is made up of mainly hay, and fruit and veg, they have a small handful of an alfalfa mix in the mornings. At such a small amount is it even worth feeding?

Pellet food vary greatly in their ingredients and nutritional content. For example some have very low fibre and others are more suitable. I think buns need atleast 18% fibre. I'm not sure which pellet food you are using but I am currently trialing Wagg Optimum Premium Rabbit Food and the ingredients are on the bag. Failing that have you tried looking on the website of the manufacturer?

Here is the info from the Wagg website:
"Wagg Optimum Premium Rabbit Food contains Wheatfeed, Oatfeed, Grass, Lucerne, Maize, Sunflower, Locust Bean Meal, Syrup, Vegetable Oil, Yeast, Vitamins and Minerals. With Antioxidant: EC additive. This product may contain traces of nuts, as it has been made in a factory that uses nut ingredients.
Protein 13.00%
Oil 4.00%
Fibre 17.00%
Ash 7.50% "

The fibre is a little low for my liking but my girl is very good a munching on lots of hay so I'm not as worried.

Here is a link to the Rabbit Rehome information page (in case you hadn't already found it) about dry foods: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/rabbitfood.asp

You want your fiber to be as high as possible, preferably 16% and above and protein as low as possible.

Excel is 16%, Science Selective is 19% fiber, Allan & Page is 23% and Bunny Basics/T is min. 25%.

A pelleted feed is better than a mix because it prevents selective feeding. Bunny Basics is particularly good because as it is Timothy based it is lower in calcium (which can lead to bladder sludge/stones) than Alfalfa based feeds.

Just a thought but does anyone feed a low energy, high fibre horse feed to their rabbits? They eat pretty much the same thing and I notice the main ingredients and analysis is very similar to the feeds I buy for my Donkey.

Back