• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice please!!! re: travelling U/D pics on page 2

Shall i take the buns home??

• No, leave them at home and stop being such a worrier!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, in one carrier so they can cuddle!

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Yes, but in two carriers so they have space!

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Wispa & Zola

Mama Doe
im going to my parents this weekend, its a 4 1/2 car journey if we dont stop. originally darrens friend was going to stay at our house to look after the buns but the more i think about it, the more im dreading it. he's known to sleep in till about 3pm and often goes against what i say about the buns (ie dont pick up wispa she hates it, so he picks her up :roll:)

i will be so worried all weekend, but i dont want to cause them too much stress in the car for a 2/3 day stay at my parents. Wispa did the journey over christmas and was fine in the car but Zola hasnt done that many car journeys, his longest was 2 hours when we picked him up.

the other question is, they have seperate carriers, but go to the vets in the same carrier. its an atlas 30 so there isnt that much space for two but its ok for vet trips. shall i take them in one carrier so they can cuddle or shall i take them in two so they can stretch out.

shall i even take them at all!!!

Last edited:
i can't help much with the travelling question but i can totally understand you not wanting to leave them. i'm very much the same. Left Lola for one night and i rang twice to make sure she was ok, my mum was watching her but i still didnt trust her:lol:

It's only 2 days. If Darren friend has offered, then take it. Worse thing that happens is that Darren friend gets a nip from Wispa. :lol:

I wouldn't leave them with him. Can you find a registered petsitter instead? Some charge as little as £5 a visit.

even for a weekend id not leave mine....its a tough one.. alvin travels so well id not be concerned even if its alot of travelling so close together... i didnt vote cus i dunno about the carrier thing... but id either not go or take them with me

Can you cable tie the 2 carriers together, door facing door to give more room? If the door's are removable?

I dont know the carrier so it may not be possible.

if it helps... when travelling Alvin doesnt move so as long as they can lie down in the carrier together it should be ok... if you are driving you could always let them out to stretch thier legs in the car at s service station

my only worry about travellin with Pearl is Alvin pees right at the start and im worried shell get stained... hopefully wont have to find out how that goes for a good few months yet...lol

i wouldnt even leave my buns with my mom as shes got no experience at all and neither of us would get over the guilt if they got ill... shes happy to look after the chippies when we are away tho :)

we take chelsea on to mums (gloucester) from london a 3hour journey.
i am taking snowy and dora in 2 weeks to gloucester too again a 3 hour journey
i will take them in their carrier which is large enough for them both. for chelsea she is a bigger rabbit and has a crate(size of smallish dog crate) dad made it out of wood frame with a mesh around it and each side is a sliding up and down door. we give her a piece of turf otherwise she slides around and doesnt like it!

my advice would be take both carriers and then every hour and a half stop give them some food and water and let them cuddle up and stretch their legs in the car. they will prob be alright either carrier that you take although i think if it was me i would let them see each other but keep in seperate carriers till about hour to half hour away then let them be toghther that way not to cramped up together. hope this helps alternativly buy a carrier which is larger and can fit them both in would be useful if you need to take them away again?!

i was thinking of trying to attach the carriers.....someone suggested letting them roam free on the back seat but Darren wont have any of that on the leather seats :lol::lol::lol:

im not sure its the carriers thats making me confused i think its the stress issue! is it more stressful to leave them with a stranger who has no idea what hes doing, especially considering when hes here wispa thumps all the time!

I think rabbits travel better in smaller spaces, mine all like our smaller boxes for travling.

a larger one wont fit in the car. there is plenty of room when they are in there carriers seperately so individually they will never grow out of them

im eventually buying a new car to transport the rabbits :lol::lol::lol:

mine often travel 3 1/2 hours with no undue stress. Their carrier isn't huge (about 2x1 foot) which gives them enough room to stretch out a bit if they want to but they usually bunch together in one corner.

Just make sure you:

Don't have loud music on
Motorway driving is best, be carefully on twisty bends and speed humps.
Don't make the car too hot and put them where they can have good ventilation
Make sure they have plenty of hay in with them and a water bottle
Make sure the buns are the last in and first out. Get them settled before you unpack the rest of the car.

I also like to give mine a little bit of spring greens or romany lettuce before hand which is both food and water. This is because mine wont eat or drink at all during the journey.

a larger one wont fit in the car. there is plenty of room when they are in there carriers seperately so individually they will never grow out of them

im eventually buying a new car to transport the rabbits :lol::lol::lol:

lol- thats the best excuse for getting a new car that ive ever heard....i may try that on the OH!!!:lol:

If it makes you feel any better i took my bun on hols,5 and half hours in car and she was fine.i just had her on my knee, good as gold....which is more than i can say for the cat who meowed non stop for the whole journey non stop!x:shock:

ive taken wispa away before but there was 2 weeks inbetween the journeys. i was worried this time because its only the weekend. i took pics of one in the carrier and two in the carrier!!!

CIMG0100-1.jpg

CIMG0104.jpg

CIMG0105.jpg

Back