• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

First vet visit

uniqueanneek

Alpha Buck
I'm fairly new here but you lot seem like a lovely bunch so I thought I'd ask for some words of wisdom! My new bunny is going for a check up this week as I've had him 2 weeks and just want to get the once over... get his teeth, nails and diet checked, and also ask about neutering.

I also want to see what the vet practice is like as I have never used them before. Anybody have any ideas about what I should check? What questions I should ask or anything specific about bunny I should get checked? he's 13 weeks.

Ta muchly!

Welcome to RU:wave:

I would ask over the phone, what bunny experience the vets at the practice have got. Maybe how often they see rabbits, how they would treat a problem like gut stasis and ask some general questions about vaccinations and health checks, just to see what they say. Any vet who doesn't see the value in both VHD and Myxo vaccines and the absolute necessity to spay both male and female buns is not a good bunny vet (in my opinion).

Some vets see bunnies so infrequently that they don't have enough experience to pick up problems that a really bunny savvy vet would spot immediately.

If you are not happy with their answers I would ring round until you find a really good vet. Maybe check with a local rescue to see who they use. i

If you have done this before you go and you feel comfortable with the vet you have chosen, then hopefully your consultation will be very informative without you having to ask too many questions.

Hope it all goes well with your new bunny.

Helen x

Sooz, that's fab and to the point - I hope you don't mind if I nick your list and make it into a print out to give to people I meet new to bunnying.

Helen x

Of course you can. Do add the bit about not fasting to the list though, I forgot that one at the time :oops:

Absolutely! But I have had to correct the odd receptionist before about that when they check you in for the morning list!

Thank you

Absolutely! But I have had to correct the odd receptionist before about that when they check you in for the morning list!

Thank you

Im so used to not fasting bunnies I very nearly forgot to fast my cat today before her spey :oops:

By the way, Rocky is gorgeous!

Thank you! He's adorable but definitely a cheeky one lol.

Thanks for the info. I did actually speak to a couple of practices over the phone before I booked an appointment. The vet I'm going to gives new bunnies to the practice a free 20min consultation to do a thorough check and basically give the owner advice, I think.

I thought I'd give it a bash, but being free i'm always worried whether it's a good practice as going by the saying 'If it's too good to be true, it usually is'! But I have got nothing to lose by checking. The second choice of practice offered a 10 min consultation for £25 which I didn't think was overly good... especially as there is nothing even wrong with bunny! If they clipped his nails it was going to be an extra £9!! :shock:

Thanks for the link to previous thread - sorry for posting another along the same vein :oops:

Its a few weeks old now and it took me three attempts to enter the right search terms so you were not to know how to find it :D

One of my vets charges £24 for a consult and the other £15.

£25 sounds about right for a first consult. Then normally if a follow-up is required you might pay around £18.

Well you have nothing to lose by going for your free 20 minutes, but as you already said, good practices don't have to advertise too much. Our vet is always booked up and it's by word of mouth for the bunny savvy fellow.

Hope it is a good result for you and the lovely Rockstar!

Back