• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

greiving bunnies? how long for?

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,
I was wondering how long rabbits usually greive when they lose a partner? Holly is still sad and quiet two months (ish) after losing Basil :( I hate seeing her like this, she is eating, drinking, pooing normally and is healthy, just very quiet and tends to sit and stare out her hutch all day. :( she's had a check up from the vets and they said she is fine, just sad, i seriously thought it'd be over by now?

She may just be lonely. I guess some never 'get over' the yearning for a friend.

Have you had any luck rehoming her?

Hi

Is Holly getting enough sleep and rest time?

Izzy is still having ups and downs since losing Jazmine 3 weeks ago, but there are more ups than downs now.

With Izzy...I don't think he's getting much sleep at night, we now have to leave a light on for him overnight, otherwise he starts thumping. He doesn't seem to like sleeping when he's on his own, obviously he has to be more alert now there's only him to look out for danger.

We've noticed he sleeps a lot more during the day to make up for it and as a result is more grumpy too! :?

It may affect bunnies like it affects humans, people often are not quite the same when they lose their life partner. Izzy used to get up to some real mischief, but now he's not quite so mischievous.

Maybe Holly will improve over time.

Have you tried giving her new toys to play with? This seemed to help Izzy, almost as a distraction.

Nic

Back