• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First housing question

Cob-Web

Warren Scout
The first, I am sure, of many questions, as I begin the exciting task of planning my new bunny-palace in the play-house :D

I have two guinea pigs, who are hutch-dwelling with a separate run at present. Can I plan my playhouse for my bunnies so that there is a separate space for the guineas, suitable for them to live in? I know that the rabbits and guineas shouldn't live together, but can they live close to each other - close enough to sniff through wire, for instance?

It will be a lot easier for me in terms of feeding, cleaning, playing, grooming if they are in the same area of the garden, and the playhouse offers enough space inside for a separate living space for the guineas and a indoor/outdoor palace for the bunnies - but I don't want to do it if it will stress any of them out?

I don't see why not. The general opinion is that rabbits don't hurt piggies intentionally, it's more often from an accidental kick when they are hopping away or if they get a bit frisky and try mounting them. As your are planning to keep them seperate and therefore presumably feeding them seperately and meeting each dietary needs I see no problem. You might want to keep an eye on them for a bit to check neither are biting each other through the partition (if its mesh). Oh and remember rabbits can jump so it'll have to be reasonably high.

My rabbits are in a 6 x 8 shed and the guinea pigs have a large hutch in there to. When the piggies are out in their run in the garden the rabbits quite often go up to the run and they all sniff at each other through the wire. My pigges arent frightened at all of the rabbits so I think as long as your piggies dont feel intimidated at all by the rabbits then they should be ok.

Back