• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pringle/ teeth / weight loss - Question

Pringle

Warren Veteran
:oops::?
Sorry for the long complicated title but here goes....

Pringle was in today getting his teeth done again, its been 3 months though which is fantastic progress as sometimes it can only be 6weeks!!!...
Anyway, i dont know if any of you remember a while ago i posted about him loosing weight? i gave him the panicur/ oats/ wheat a bix etc and he put a tiny bit on, i think he went up to 2.3kg but hes now back down to 2.1kg :cry: this has been happening now for about 4/5months :cry: im just completly lost in what to do. I will give him another course of panicur i think but how can i get the weight loss back on? can i give him porridge oats with water? and i was thinking of maybe giving him a little bit of food in morning/tea time and night for a few weeks just to get his weight up again, you can see his spine and when i stroke him all i feel is bones :cry: the vet doesnt know why he has lost it and near do i, he is a very happy bunny though and always running around acting normal comes to see me etc just the weight:cry:

Any ideas on how to fatten him up a bit would be greatly appreciated!!

xx

Oh and i also worry as i dont want to over feed him then he wont eat his readi grass and his teeth will grow quick....:?

Last edited:
Sorry no help atall but just wanted to send huge huge hugs for you and your bun i know how difficult it is with teeth problems, miffy's now down to needing hers done every 3 weeks :( she's gone from 2.8k to 2.5kg but a lot of that's due to her mouth being in so much pain i really hope someone more knowledgeable comes along soon til then HUGS xxxxxx

Sorry no help atall but just wanted to send huge huge hugs for you and your bun i know how difficult it is with teeth problems, miffy's now down to needing hers done every 3 weeks :( she's gone from 2.8k to 2.5kg but a lot of that's due to her mouth being in so much pain i really hope someone more knowledgeable comes along soon til then HUGS xxxxxx

Thank you lots, poor Miffy that must be awful, i think its hard every 6 weeks-3months :cry:... the weight loss is horrible though, he used to be a very well built rabbit but now hes just bones :cry::cry::cry::cry:

You can give Pringle oats with water if he likes them that way:D I always say that a bun that needs to maintain weight should be fed more than normal - I also add oats to their diet as well as weetabix and two peanuts a day (not the ready salted ones:lol:) - also, a lot of the older buns here have Excel Junior and Dwarf to help keep weight on as well as their other foods:D

Well miffy was apparently fat and now she's apparently just fine but she's all bony i dont like it atall lol it's not good when they're underweight though, as long as he's happy and hopping round and eating hay and greens he should put weight on i'd have thought i've no idea how she apparently got fat...she's free range house bunny lol

Thank you everyone, peanuts ooh never heard that one, im going to buy more porridge and give him more of that. Just want him normal again :cry:

Yes pringle does live with Sophie, but when he first lost weight i sat every night with them eating so i knew pringle was eating all his food, and tbh he finished his then went onto what sophie has left :?!

You can give Pringle oats with water if he likes them that way:D I always say that a bun that needs to maintain weight should be fed more than normal - I also add oats to their diet as well as weetabix and two peanuts a day (not the ready salted ones:lol:) - also, a lot of the older buns here have Excel Junior and Dwarf to help keep weight on as well as their other foods:D

I may try the excel junior and dwarf, pringle is only 2 though :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone, peanuts ooh never heard that one, im going to buy more porridge and give him more of that. Just want him normal again :cry:

Yes pringle does live with Sophie, but when he first lost weight i sat every night with them eating so i knew pringle was eating all his food, and tbh he finished his then went onto what sophie has left :?!

Try taking him out of the hutch twice a day for an extra helping of pellets/porridge....its what I have to do with Fiver. He is a slow eater due to his teeth so Marley tends to eat more than his share.

Try taking him out of the hutch twice a day for an extra helping of pellets/porridge....its what I have to do with Fiver. He is a slow eater due to his teeth so Marley tends to eat more than his share.

I will do that, thank you Sooz, he is a slow eater sometimes, sometimes he eats quite fast others he is slower, i will feed him a couple of times a day but take him out to do it, thank you :D xx

How much porridge can i give, as i gave him a wee handful a minute ago, he has only eating some so removed rest just now, but i dont want to give him to much that may bloat him etc xx

Back