• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues please

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
I am interested to know what per centage of bunnies that you have homed come back in to you rescue and what are the reasons given?

we have only ever had 7 rabbits returned and thats in 4 years

1 escaped and was handed back in , then the owner didnt make the changes we said they must do before having him back so he went back up for rehoming.

we rehomed a group of 4 . they came back because the familys work commitments changed.

We rehomed a pair as house rabbits ...they wrecked the house :shock::roll::roll: ....so they came back and were rehomed as out door buns .

I think we have had five back, one because she was apparently aggressive.... she had issues before we rehomed her but was good as gold when she came back :shock:.

Two because the owners marriage broke down and two because the bonding failed.

I cant think of any others off the top of my head.

Very few and almost always because the bonding has failed.
Once because the rabbits started to bite (we still have them 2 years later and they still bite!)
One was returned as a fox caught her partner and the owner was frightened that it would return and get her too.
I homed 2 this Friday and got a call Monday to say the woman is now being posted abroad so they have to come back!
I get very depressed when a rabbit is returned.

Oh no, which two were they donna?

I think Trevor & Paula were bunnies that came back - but they have a nice home now! :D

The ones coming back after just a weekend? Bluey and Loki - they are absolute angels so I'm sure she must be telling me the truth.

And yes, Paula and Trevor came back too (I forgot them!) not too sure what happened there, she kept changing her story - her mental health, moving back to Germany, child involved with social services she mentioned it all.
Whatever the reason it was the best thing for them as they were in an awful state - which is ironic as when we did the home check we thought it was one of the best homes we'd ever seen - how things change! x

I have had 2 piggies who went out to what seemed a lovely home, Donna was asked to look after them for 6 weeks whilst the lady went home to the States for a holiday and the owner was never seen again.
I rehomed 7 female and a neutered male piggie who all came back 18 months later as the family of 4 were having to move due to a change in his job, they were moving into a flat for 4 - 6 months and couldnt manage the piggies indoors due to one of their childrens asthma.
I had 2 returned as their owner didnt seem to appreciate that cleaning out piggies on at least alternate days meant exactly that and not once a week, she returned them as they began to smell.
That is 12 out of almost 700 piggies which have been rehomed in 6 years.

The ones coming back after just a weekend? Bluey and Loki - they are absolute angels so I'm sure she must be telling me the truth.

Poor Loki & Bluey - well hopefully we can help out now we've decided what to build! (it's bigger than discussed). Just have to get it first :roll:

ps didn't mean to foster them necessarily but any pair :)

Poor Loki & Bluey - well hopefully we can help out now we've decided what to build! (it's bigger than discussed). Just have to get it first :roll:

Are you somewhere near Twickenham then?

One of the mothers I know from the German school, said they had adopted two bunnies from ARC, and there were bonding problems, but I did not quite understand whether the bunnies are bonded now or not. I hope it wasn't her who returned Paula and Trevor.

Briar Patch had a few bunnies returned last year, in one case the bonding didn't work out, and the others came back because their owners did not have enough time for them or did not want to pay the vet bills when tooth problems arose. :(

Paula and Trevor were homed in Raynes Park so I expect it was a little too far for the boy to attend the German School - they have been back for a long time now maybe coming up 2 years - probably will stay with Helen (bunny-mad) for ever as Paula now has health problems.

Glad to hear you are sorting out that new foster space, Helen!

Paula and Trevor were homed in Raynes Park so I expect it was a little too far for the boy to attend the German School - they have been back for a long time now maybe coming up 2 years - probably will stay with Helen (bunny-mad) for ever as Paula now has health problems.

Oh ok. The family still had their bunnies just before Christmas, so I assume they did not return them. They live just down the road from us. I need to arrange a play date with their and my son, then I have an excuse to do a "homecheck". :lol:

We must have had them for about a year now? Poor Paula's teeth are falling out! and a few other problems, but she seems quite spritely despite her age.

Yes we have a plan... ;)

Last edited:
Back