• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Serious Concerns About a 'Rescue'

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I am aware of a situation where a so called 'Rescue' is advertising saying they will find a new home for all unwanted Pet Rabbits. But I know that some of these poor Pets end up being used for breeding and the Babies are sold on FreeAds :evil: :cry:
Surely if someone hands over their Pet to a 'Rescue' on the understanding that a new home will be found for the Bun they are being defrauded if the Bun is actually used as 'breeding stock'

If you know the place I am refering to please do not post a link to their FreeAds or to their website as this thread will just get locked/deleted.
I just wander what can be done about the situation

:?

Janex

Last edited:
Thats awful. Are you sure thats what they are doing tho, Jane? :( I only ask because I notice a few other threads from rescues/individuals who have rehomed buns that have now turned up for sale on "freeadds". Maybe thats whats happened?:(

Unfortunately because rescues don't need to be registered or regulated in any way I suppose there's not a lot to be done. Hope I'm wrong though and someone can suggest something..

You could report them to their local council? They may be forced to get a petshop license and/or declare themselves self-employed if they're acting like a business.

I have no idea what free ads are like, but maybe email them to tell them whats going on or maybe ask them to put a notice in the pet dept saying that all owners should ensure that they check out facilities of rescues or something?

I have no idea what free ads are like, but maybe email them to tell them whats going on or maybe ask them to put a notice in the pet dept saying that all owners should ensure that they check out facilities of rescues or something?

I reported the FreeAds a couple of times but the ad's keep appearing, usually several a day :?

Janex

It depends whether they are actually breaking any laws. If they are acting as a pet shop without a licence that would be illegal. That's monitored by the local council.

If they are just doing things which you think are morally wrong there is nothing you can do.

Tamsin

I think I know EXACTLY what 'rescue' you are talking about, Jane.....and just a bit earlier today I saw a 'Wanted' advert that they put up advertising to BUY baby bunnies in!!!:evil: :evil: :evil:

That is awful!! How can you advertise yourself as a rescue and put the poor buns into breeding :cry::cry: Shame there is no real way to warn people off..perhaps put your own free ad warning people to check out rescues before rehoming animals??

In their advert I saw today where they want to buy baby bunnies, they are even asking for a specific breed.....so you can pretty much be certain of what THAT means!!!:roll: :evil:

Even if they're not deemed to need a petshop license, they might need to apply for 'change of use' for the property - I know of a couple of 'real' rescues who've had problems with their council due to neighbours complaining about the amount of traffic, waste, noise etc., so maybe the nitpicking nature of councils can be used to an advantage at times...hopefully :roll::lol:

If they are buying babies and then selling them they need a pet shop licence. Take the adverts/email/contact details which show that and give them to the local council in their area.

Tamsin

If they are buying babies and then selling them they need a pet shop licence. Take the adverts/email/contact details which show that and give them to the local council in their area.

Tamsin

Do they though? Couldn't the same then apply to BYBs?

Tamsin

What they do is advertise for unwanted 'Pet Rabbits' and unwanted 'Rabbits of a specific breed'. They then use these 'Rescued Rabbits' to breed and sell their Babies.
They also sell hutches (dirty and small :roll: :evil:) Some come with a Bun or two............

I think the council will be my first port of call.

Janex

I reported the FreeAds a couple of times but the ad's keep appearing, usually several a day :?

Janex

:(

Would trading standards be able to do anything? Considering they are advertising as a rescue and they are not, plus they don't have a trading licence and they are commiting fraud.

Back