• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really worried about Lexies eye! updated 4pm.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Do rabbits have a second eyelid or membrane? If so Lexie's is really sore and inflammed, also its actually jerking away from the surface of her eye when I try to look at it.

Its making me feel quite queasy, what on earth is it? I cant compare it to her other eye as she does not have one :(

Im so worried about something happening to her remaining eye. She keeps scratching at it.

Should I put a hood on? Should I flush the eye with saline?

She has a vets appointment at 3pm. :(:(:(

Last edited:
Mo occasionally gets a sore eye and there is a visible fleshy membrane. Mayb a collor might be a good idea if she is scratching at it a lot.

Smokey's 3rd eyelid is inflamed on her left eye ATM. It's very pink and bulges out, but I can't say I've noticed it flickering as such.

Sorry

Amy

It could be the nictating membrane you can see :? Sometimes it can prolapse :?

I would not bathe the eye until the Vet has seen her. Poor Lexie :cry:

Janex

It could be the nictating membrane you can see :? Sometimes it can prolapse :?

I would not bathe the eye until the Vet has seen her. Poor Lexie :cry:

Janex

Oh no, what is its function? It was a little inflammed yesterday but its horrendous now.

If it has prolapsed what can they do?

Im so worried :cry:

Im even more worried now:

Cherry eye is the term used to refer to canine nictitans gland prolapse, a common eye condition in various dog breeds where the gland of the third eyelid known as the nictitating membrane prolapses and becomes visible. Commonly affected breeds include the Bulldog, Cocker Spaniel, Beagle, Pekingese, Neapolitan Mastiff, and Basset Hound.[1] Cherry eye may be caused by a hereditary weakness in the connective tissue surrounding the gland.[2] It is most common in puppies.[3]

It appears as a red mass in the inner corner of the eye, and is sometimes mistaken for a tumor. After gland prolapse, the eye becomes chronically inflamed and there is often a discharge. Because the gland is responsible for about 30% of the eye's tear production, the eye can eventually suffer from dryness (keratoconjunctivitis sicca).[4] Dry eye may eventually occur in 30 to 40 percent of dogs that have the gland removed, yet it may affect about 20 percent of dogs that have the gland surgically replaced [5]

Surgery is the usual treatment. Older methods of cherry eye correction (before the gland's purpose was known) involved simply removing the gland, but this is a last-resort procedure today, and necessitates the use of eyedrops for the rest of the animal's life. Modern methods of cherry eye correction involve repositioning of the gland to its normal location. The success rate of this type of surgery is around 80% in most breeds.

Flumps 3rd eyelid went like that when I was using Tiacil - The vets said it was a reaction to the drops so I stopped using it straight away. She gave me baytril & Fucithalmic and it cleared the eyelid up.

Is her eye lid really red and looks bloodshot and really sore looking? If so that was exactly like Flumps!

Hope I've helped abit :oops:

I don't think it'll be cherry eye, unless it differs between dogs and rabbits :?

I've seen cherry eye in dogs, and the 3rd eyelid is huge and red.

Ok, so I may have panicked....alot :blush:

Its an infection but the membrane is still moving back and forth as it should, its just very swollen.

She has had an eye flush and a local aneasthetic to alleviate the pain. We opted for Fucithalmic drops because although they seem to hurt more, they also contain a steroid to help with the inflammation.

She is allowed to have a little bit of Metacam for a couple of days if she seems uncomfortable.

We also have a 6 week course of Baytril for her Pasteurella so hopefully we can get that under control and I will have my happy bouncy girl back soon. Lexie was also pleased to hear she is a little underweight which means she can have some extra pellets :oops:

Aww - well never mind least u have got the stuff to make her better! :D

Took us about 5 attempts with different vets to get eyes storted! :evil:

Aww Sooz poor LExie but at least it's getting sorted and she'll be spoilt from all the extra attention hehe xxx

Yes she does love to be fussed. She likes having her eyes and nose cleaned because to her its all extra grooming- which just reaffirms her belief she is top bun!

lol does ur bun attack the brush when you've finished grooming her?

Only if it 'nips' her bum. She much prefers to have her ears or chin tickled or nose rubbed though. I generally 'pluck' her rather than brush her because she is a clumpy moulter.

awww how cute. Must just be my 2 then they'll sit and wait til they're finished and then pick up the brush dig in it and lob it across the room lolol awwww your bun sounds adorable

so glad to hear Lexie is going to be ok:D i had lola to the vet this morning as she had a sticky eye, turned out to be a slight infection. She also has been given Fucithalmic cream, she was a dream at the vets but i didn't realise it hurt?? Does it sting??

Lots more vibes for Lexie - her eye did look sore, poor thing. She is SOOO gorgeous Sooz - you have the most stunning house bunnies :D

so glad to hear Lexie is going to be ok:D i had lola to the vet this morning as she had a sticky eye, turned out to be a slight infection. She also has been given Fucithalmic cream, she was a dream at the vets but i didn't realise it hurt?? Does it sting??

Yes. Anneke wondered why the animals seemed to hate it so much so she put some in her eye :rolleyes::lol: and apparently it hurt like :censored:

We would have used Tiacil which dosn't seem to sting and is easier to administer but Fucithamic contains a steroid which has anti-inflammatory properties. Lexie really needed that.

Thanks Gaynor, I love her to pieces but she certainly wears the boots. when she has a nice coat and non-tear/snot marked face she is stunning.

Back