• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur

Victoria39

Mama Doe
Took Daffodil to the vets this morning re: possible EC - vet hasn't ruled it out but suggested cataracts. Suggested I buy Panacur over the internet as it will work out cheaper as she would like me to treat Koo. Can anyone recommend a site please?

Many thanks
Vickie

hi,

vetuk.co.uk is even cheaper than vetmedic, panacur is only 3.55 as opposed to 4.90 from vetmedic and on average 6 at vets. They usually dispatch same day if you order in the morning.

How long a course did the vet recommend you use? It is now suggested active EC infections require a 6 week course of Panacur....thats a few tubes and the liquid usually works out cheaper.

Also if Daffodil has a friend he will need worming too.

The vet recommended a 28 day treatment for Daffodil and Koo. I will treat for 6 weeks. Been busy scrubbing and cleaning with Jeynes - I smell beautiful now :lol::lol:

Thanks for the tips.

It is now suggested active EC infections require a 6 week course of Panacur....thats a few tubes and the liquid usually works out cheaper.

Which liquid do you use? There is a 2.5% and a 10% and what would dosage would you use? I am hoping to adopt a companion for my girl so will need to treat them both. Just wondering because I already have the 10% for the cats.

Ooo thats good to know. I didn't even twig that it was the same stuff! :oops: Thank you, its very much appreciated :D

It has the same active ingredient, Fenbendazole. Its just the manufacturers saw a gap in the market and produced Panacur Rabbit paste, which is actually licensed specifically for rabbits.

If neither of your bunnies have suspected 'active' EC a 9 day course should be fine....but finish it before commencing introductions.

My buns went to the vets for their myxi jab today and the vet told me some horrible stories and sold me some this for preventative treatment bith buns have got a 9 day course.

is it worth giving panacur treatment then for new indoor rabbits even if EC is not suspected? Also, should the 9 day course be done yearly? :wave:

I use panacur on my rabbits quarterly. You never know if theyve been introduced to EC before they got to you. So I reckon better safe than sorry :)

is it worth giving panacur treatment then for new indoor rabbits even if EC is not suspected? Also, should the 9 day course be done yearly? :wave:

Yes. EC is transmitted via urine/feaces and also from a mother to her kits through the placenta. So an infected mother will have infected kits and you can never tell if your rabbit is an asymptomatic carrier or not.

9 days should be given annually (spring is best as this is when the usual intestinal parasites are most prevelant, may as well kill two birds with one stone) but the 9 day course should also be given at times of high risk such as prior to boarding or introducing a new rabbit to the household.

It is vital the course is completed BEFORE letting the rabbit in the vicinity of others.

The leaflets recommend worming quarterly but after much discussion with 3 seperate vets we are confident this is excessive, and TBH I am a bit peeved with the manufacturers for suggesting this. Some would call it scaremongering.

Last edited:
Cool thanks for the info guys. I'm off to buy some now. The vetuk website seems very reasonably priced, and definitely worth doing compared to the risks!

Should be fun attempting to syringe it... bunny will be pleased! :lol:

Back